Eccentric sushi restaurant doubles as a promising music venue

Live music concerts at a sushi restaurant is iconically Austin.

Brand new restaurant WuWu Sushi is a “Sushi-slinging, Asian-fusion restaurant coming soon to East Austin,” as described on its Twitter account, Facebook account and official website.

Among the thousands of events that were happening during SXSW this year, WuWu Fest was one of the many. WuWu Fest was presented by Circus on the Moon, a growing and popular promotions company here in Austin, to promote the new sushi restaurant opening soon.

WuWu Fest hosted over 80 bands during the March 12-17 week of SXSW. Those bands included Ghostbunny, Syd Arthur, Cave Painting, T Birds and the Breaks, Megafauna, The Rocketboys (who played on campus at Hillfest this year), Wild Child and TransContintental Trip.

Along with Circus on the Moon, Werd (an audio, video, and live production company), Deja Set (a live-show recording company) and Vitamin Water were all sponsors that helped make this event happen.

WuWu Fest was held at two locations during SXSW: The Russian House and the restaurant’s permanent location. WuWu Sushi will be located in what has been described as the heart of the Eastside of Austin at 1407 East Seventh Street.

WuWu Fest provided SXSW participants and Austinites with free entry, sushi, drinks and live music. The event allowed free entry, but the restaurant and sponsors highly encouraged people to make donations to The American Red Cross of Central Texas.

WuWu Fest allowed people to enjoy sushi that was freshly hand made and constructed into a cone-like roll that provided every bite with a soft crunch. The unique rolling techniques of the sushi allowed their California Roll to have the perfect balance of rice, crab and avocado.

WuWu Sushi boasts that they will offer creative sushi rolls and a range of Asian fusion dishes.

On top of the enjoyable food, WuWu Fest provided an atmosphere filled with a variety of tunes surrounded by both sushi and music lovers.

Austinites can expect to experience a different twist on the sushi dining world at WuWu Sushi.

According to its website, WuWu Sushi will feature “sushi, graffiti-sprayed walls, live music, local beers, local wines and sexy cocktails.”

As a delightful bonus, the restaurant guarantees their customers plenty of parking in the rear location of the building.

More information about their menu can be found on WuWu Sushi’s official website. The restaurant has posted a sneak peek of enjoyable food to come on their menu tab. WuWu Sushi has also posted plenty of pictures on Facebook of the artwork that will surround their restaurant that Austinites will be able to enjoy while dining there.

Fortunately for St. Edward’s University students, WuWu Sushi is only about an eight minute drive from campus, so students should make sure to go try out and support this new restaurant once it is up and running.