Transit Theatre Troupe set to perform musical this spring

Transit Theatre Troupe also produces an annual New Works Festival during the fall semester.

The award-winning student organization Transit Theatre Troupe has just announced their spring season which includes Neil LaBute’s “Some Girls” and the musical “I Love You Because” by Ryan Cunningham and Joshua Salzman.

Transit Theatre Troupe was founded in 2007 as an on-campus, site-specific theater company that produces shows in various locations on campus.

“[Transit Theatre Troupe] is an opportunity for new artistic and creative experiences for the St. Edward’s community,” said junior Leah Harris and managing director.

The troupe is completely student-led and overseen by adviser Michelle Polgar, the managing director of the Mary Moody Northen Theatre.

The student-led aspect, the principle on which it was founded, is what Harris says she really loves about it.

For the spring, Transit Theatre Troupe will produce their first musical. 

The romantic modern-day musical, directed by senior Andrew Hatcher, is called “I Love You Because,” and will run in April.

The troupe will also produce a comedic play entitled “Some Girls,” directed by senior Emily Donald. “Some Girls” is expected to open later in April.

Furthermore, if the troupe manages to iron out the details, they will produce a performance art piece consisting of five different music genres and five different artists. The company wants to show how different types of music can influence visual art.

“It’ll be a night of music and painting at sunset,” Harris said.

Transit Theatre Troupe may makes it look easy to put on these productions, but much, dedication, hard work and time go into the shows.

“Each show is prepared just like any other production you might see,” Harris said.

The student directors host auditions, create the cast and then move on to facilitating rehearsals. Other members of the troupe are maintaining proper advertisement for the show and making sure there will be an audience present on the performance day.

It should be known that all Transit performances are completely free of charge.

The company does, however, heavily encourage donations. Eighty percent of the money contributed is donated to a charity picked by the director and 20 percent goes to the company to fund more productions. 

These charities are most often associated with the arts and music in the local Austin community.

By donating, a student is not only helping Transit Theatre Troupe provide entertainment for themselves and fellow Hilltoppers, but they are also helping their local community.

Students can get involved by auditioning, liking the company’s Facebook page, following them on Twitter and going to see their free shows.