Alcohol offenses more frequent this semester

Alcohol-related offenses are becoming more frequent on campus this year.

As of Feb. 12, records from the University Police Department, UPD, show that there have been three DWIs and six public intoxication offenses that lead to arrests on campus since Jan. 1. One DWI and nine public intoxication offenses took place over the entire year of 2012.

“Nationally, alcohol on college universities is an issue,” Lisa Kirkpatrick, dean of students, said.

If a student is arrested or accused of a drug-related crime on or off campus, St. Edward’s may take disciplinary action against that student for violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

However, as stated in the Student Code of Conduct, the disciplinary process is not meant to punish students, but rather to protect the community and challenge students whose behavior is not in accordance with university policies.

“Our policies are about safety, education, and the community,” Kirkpatrick said. “We offer an opportunity for students to reflect on their actions and make better decisions in the future.”

The Alcohol and Other Drug Policy states that students under the age of 21 are not allowed to drink or possess alcohol on or off campus.  Students age 21 and over living on campus may store and consume alcohol in the their rooms provided that students under 21 are not present.

Students over 21 may consume alcohol at campus events if an alcohol permit has been issued so food and alcoholic beverages can be provided.

An arrest may be made if a St. Edward’s police officer believes that a person on campus is driving while intoxicated. Visual detection of DWI motorists includes problems maintaining proper lane position, speed and braking problems and judgment problems, such as taking risks and endangering others.

In the event that an arrest is made, the officer must inform the student that he or she is being arrested and provide the reasons for the arrest, according to the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.

After an arrest, the St. Edward’s police officer transports the individual to the Travis County Sheriff’s Department jail facility where the individual is booked.

However, UPD may release an intoxicated student to the care of an adult who agrees to take responsibility of the student.

“If an adult or family member over 18 is willing to take care of the intoxicated individual for the evening, we can allow that,” Captain Dan Beck of UPD said.

There are also health factors to consider. According to the Alcohol and Other Drug Policy, the blood alcohol content, BAC, of .08 is considered intoxicated for an individual over 21. If a student’s BAC rises above .30, the student is at serious risk of alcohol poisoning.

The person is at risk of death if he or she passes out and cannot be awakened, becomes cold or clammy, has unusually pale skin, or vomits while they are asleep.

“If we assume that a student may have toxic poisoning, we will make sure they get to a hospital,” Chief Rudolph Rendon of UPD said. “Health and safety are our priorities.”

Student Code of Conduct sanctions for driving while intoxicated and public intoxication include attending educational classes and community service projects, losing housing eligibility and the ability to drive on campus, and the student contacting his or her parents.

In addition to university sanctions, state penalties could apply. A first-time DWI offense could result in a $500 fine, 40 community service hours, an alcohol awareness course and a 60-day suspension of the individual’s driver’s license. Providing alcohol to a minor could incur a $4,000 fine and one year in jail.

Student housing and dorms may be prime areas for students to engage in under-age drinking or the use of illegal drugs. Occasional room inspections in residence halls and apartments take place when university personnel may enter student housing for the purpose of health and safety inspections, repair and maintenance, assessment of damages or emergencies where danger to life, safety or health is suspected.

The Room Inspections in Residence Halls and Apartments Policies state that any items in violation of university policies that are in plain site will be confiscated and handled through the student conduct process. Officers may conduct a room search based on probable cause. During a search, officers are permitted to bar students from the area being searched.

If an alcohol or drug related incident takes places in campus dorms, a resident advisor or resident director may write a report. The student has the right to review the report and the allegations made against him or her.

“Anyone can write a report acknowledging what they saw and the objects they found in the student’s room,” said Residence Director Roy Pequeno. “Loosely termed ‘evidence,’ such as a student’s physical mannerisms, may be recorded in the report.”