Symposium to explore science, health

The symposium, orchestrated by the school of Natural Sciences and the Kozmetsky Center of Excellence in Global Finance, will be held at 9 a.m. on Oct. 19.

The annual Brother Lucian Blersch Global Health & Infectious Disease Symposium will focus on pathogenic proteins this year, exploring the ways proteins interact with the human body and the impacts they have on disease. The symposium, orchestrated by the school of Natural Sciences and the Kozmetsky Center of Excellence in Global Finance, will be held at 9 a.m. on Oct. 19 at the Robert and Pearle Ragsdale Center.

Lucian Professor of Science and Chemistry Eamonn F. Healy not only organized this event and gathered speakers, but will also be speaking about his research at the symposium.

“I’m talking about an approach to a disease called ataxia, which is a fatal neurological disorder,” Healy said. “The approach is based on the research of my undergraduate students in collaboration with Peter King of the biology department. It involves investigating the body’s own protective mechanisms. This approach could potentially be used to treat disease like Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s in the future.”

Larry C. Walker, research professor of neuroscience at Emory University, will speak about Alzheimer’s disease and exploring the characteristics of the proteins associated with neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Also speaking will be Brian Cashman, professor of medicine and the Canada research chair in the Brain Research Center at the University of British Columbia, presenting his research into degenerative diseases of the brain.

Other speakers include veterans of humanitarian aid such as Kira Fortune, a scholar with experience in academia as well as several NGOs centered on the study of public health, and Elizabeth D. Gibbons, whose career in humanitarianism and social development spans decades. A panel discussion on health as a human right will conclude the symposium.

Fitting its focus on global health, particular effort was put into guaranteeing the symposium’s truly global focus.

“My primary purpose is to bring speakers in my topic who are leaders in their field,” Healy said. “This year in particular, two of our speakers come from Canada; I am attempting to internationalize the global research of infectious disease through this symposium.”

The symposium also seeks to provide a substantial learning experience.

“It’s organized mainly for students and faculty to have the opportunity to be exposed to research questions to broaden their studies,” Healy said.

In fact, many students do plan to attend, taking advantage of this valuable learning experience.

“I am a chemistry major, but my undergraduate research is in biochemistry, specifically ataxia,” senior Carley Little said. “Dr. Healy is my research advisor … I did research with him this summer on the topic that he will be speaking on during the symposium, so naturally, I would like to see the public’s response to our research, and I believe this symposium will shed more light on the topic of degeneration.”

Beyond getting the opportunity to see the public’s response to their research, Little also looks forward to the lectures themselves.

“I enjoy watching Dr. Healy present,” Little said. “He makes the topic animated and interesting for the general public … Also, the topic of neurodegenerative diseases is quite interesting. I would like to see what the other presenters have to say. on this topic.”