University climbs into top 20 list in U.S. News and World Report

St. Edward’s University moved up in the U.S. News and World Report 2013 rankings for top universities in the nation. This year, the university jumped four spaces to number 17 in the Regional Universities West category compared to last year’s spot at number 21.

The university is ranked higher than several colleges and universities in the area, including St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, which was ranked number 20, the University of St. Thomas in Houston, which was ranked number 34, Texas State University in San Marcos, which was ranked number 46 and Houston Baptist University in Houston, which was ranked number 54.

“This year’s jump from number 21 to 17 is reinforcement that our continual efforts to improve and stay focused on the goals of our strategic plan are paying off,” Director of Communications and university spokeswoman Mischelle Diaz said.

The U.S. News and World Report ranks universities according to numerous factors, including retention of students, faculty resources, student selectivity and financial resources.

In the 2013 rankings, St. Edward’s improved in several categories, including alumni giving rate, faculty/student ratio, average graduation rate and freshmen who are in the top 25 percent of their high school class.

St. Edward’s competed with universities from 15 western states.

Students agree that the rise in rank reflects appropriately on a university that deserves to be acknowledged for its dedication to education.

“It just shows how we are just getting better all the time. I think a lot of it has to do with all of the changes the university is making to accommodate the rising amount of students,” said senior Elizabeth Pelser.

Pelser came for a campus visit almost four years ago and fell in love with the university. She did not apply anywhere else, saying she knew from the beginning that her heart was set on attending St. Edward’s and that the university gave her an amazing feeling she could not explain.

“Hearing our rank went up this year makes me feel really proud to be a Hilltopper. I look forward to increasing in rank as the years continue to go on,” said sophomore Chassidy Smith.

Smith said she applied to four other schools but, in the end, knew she wanted to go to St. Edward’s. She fell in love with the campus after just one visit.

“The U.S. News and World Report rankings are only one measure of success for a university, but the rankings do indicate excellence and improvement in key areas and the opinions of other higher education peers,” said Diaz.

In addition to the specific areas of measurement in the rankings, Diaz said the university is committed to providing benefit and value to students through the addition of new facilities and improvements to existing facilities, expansion of global opportunities through new partnerships and faculty mentorship that extends far beyond classroom time and office hours.

“St. Edward’s has been recognized for 10 consecutive years and we plan to continue our focus on being a top liberal arts university,” said Diaz.