University of Texas reopened after bomb threat

The University of Texas at Austin received a threatening phone call this morning that led university officials to immediately evacuate the entire campus.

A person claiming to be a member of Al Qaeda called UT at 8:35 this morning. The caller said there were multiple bombs set around campus that would detonate in 90 minutes, said university spokeswoman Jenny Caputo.

University officials immediately evacuated the entire campus. Matthew Roumelis, a sophomore at the University of Texas, received a text message alert from the university emergency alert text messaging system at 9:48 a.m. that said to “get as far away from the buildings as possible.”

Authorities chose to evacuate the entire campus as opposed to just a portion because there was a threat of multiple bombs around campus, and the locations of the potential bombs were unknown.

University police, along with local and state police, searched the area. The specified detonation time passed with no signs of a bomb.

“They have cleared all the buildings and found nothing,” Caputo said.

Another alert was sent at 10:44 a.m. informing students that although the specified time had passed “all buildings are not cleared yet.”

All of the University buildings were re-opened at noon, but classes were cancelled until 5 p.m.

Despite the threats, Roumelis isn’t too concerned.

“I would say I feel safe,” Roumelis said. “UT is such a large university with tons of security and UTPD.”

North Dakota State University also received a bomb threat and ordered all employees and students to evacuate the area by 10:15 a.m. Authorities did not find anything suspicious.

In the event of an emergency on the St. Edward’s University campus, there are several outlets of communication available to alert the students.

St. Edward’s university spokeswoman Mischelle Diaz said the primary alert tool would be Topper Text, the emergency text messaging system.

Diaz suggested that all students go to the St. Edward’s IT website to make sure their cell phone information is correct in the system.

Other routes of communication include Facebook, Twitter, Student E-News Letter and an emergency hotline at 512-416-5800.

Shortly after the Virginia Tech shootings in 2007, St. Edward’s received a series of bomb threats. No bombs were ever found.

“We haven’t had [a bomb threat] since then,” Diaz said.