Upgrades enhance on-campus living

Over the summer, many residence halls on campus underwent major renovations and changes.

Teresa Hall, renovated this summer for the first time in over 10 years, experienced the most drastic improvements.

Resident Assistant Colin Stonecipher said the most beneficial improvements are the hallway carpeting and the newly installed laminate floors. Stonecipher said updates to the flooring have significantly decreased the noise levels in the hall and eliminated unpleasant odors.

The rooms have also been refurnished. Residents have more freedom to personalize their space now that the built-in storage units have been removed.

In addition, the doorframes were repaired and the bathrooms were significantly remodeled. This included new sinks, faucet fixtures, countertops and shower heads.

Since Teresa is one of the oldest halls on campus, the electrical systems and bathroom lighting also needed updates.

The hall’s community areas have also been redecorated. Added artwork, the fresh coat of paint and new carpet create a more welcoming atmosphere and maintain the hall’s unique social environment.

“The important thing is that while they renovated things, they kept the big open community spaces,” Stonecipher said.

Since Teresa is known on campus for being a more social hall, it was important to preserve that charm while upgrading what was outdated or in need of repair.

“[Teresa] is definitely a social dorm,” freshman Kelsey Baines said. 

But Baines appreciates the open area for more than just socializing. 

“I like the fact that we have our own personal space,” Baines said.

Although most of the renovations were inside the building, Teresa also received an external makeover. New bike racks were installed in front of the building, and the sidewalks that lead from main campus have been widened to make the residence hall more inviting and accessible.

There is still some landscaping underway, but most of the work is complete and already making a huge difference for student residents.

East Hall also experienced a big change this year. The hall is now co-ed for the first time in years.

Ellisha Isom, the interim director for Residence Life, said the growth of the university was a major cause for renovation.

“The change was necessary in order to accommodate the freshmen living on campus,” Isom said.

The transition in East seems to be going smoothly.

“We are only a month into the fall semester … and students are making friends, participating in hall events and developing a sense of community,” Isom said.

Dujarie Hall, one of the newer halls on campus, did not need any major work done, but was repainted and re-carpeted.

Basil Moreau Hall experienced similar upkeep only two summers ago and remained open for orientations and conference sessions this summer.

Hunt, LeMans and Lady Bird Johnson Halls remain unchanged.