New College program wins award

The St. Edward’s New College Program received a Level I Commitment Award from the University of Texas Center for Performance Excellence in November.

Helene Caudill, Interim Dean of the New College program, already knew about the award and thought that the New College program should participate.

To receive the award, Caudill first had to fill out an application. Once her application was approved, she filled out a questionnaire that evaluated the New College program at St. Edward’s. The questions are confidential, but were used as a way for Caudill and the Board of Examiners to evaluate the New College program.

Caudill—along with two other staff members from St. Edward’s, David Blair and Stan Horner—volunteered to serve as Board of Examiners but for other organizations, which is a requirement in order to receive the award. They attended a four-day training event in May at the University of Texas where they were assigned to different organizations that they evaluated.

Caudill was assigned to Dell while Blair and Horner were assigned to the Humane Society. While at their organizations, they evaluated them using the same criteria used to judge the New College program; however, Caudill said that the questions used to evaluate the organizations differ based on the type of organization.

Another group of board of examiners, who went through the same training program at The University of Texas, were required to visit the New College program and write a feedback report based on the school visit. This was another step in the award process.

In the report, Caudill said that they liked how the program received good feedback from students in evaluation forms. The board of examiners also looked at several other aspects of the program during the school visit such as enrollment, class size, and school budget. Caudill said that they looked at the strategic plan and if the program had a plan for the future. The judges also evaluated how ethical and responsible the program was in terms of the teaching policies and procedures.

“This award is a commit to quality award. It shows that you are wanting to be proactive, that quality is important to you, that it’s one of your strategic initiatives,” Caudill said.

The program can be awarded on three levels. The St. Edward’s New College program was awarded at Level II because it was at the local level. However, Caudill said that they are far enough long to apply for the Level II award next year.

Caudill said that this experience made her want to expand the New College program but she wants to make sure that the program is ready for the change.

“We’d like to go forward with more online classes and more programs. But are we really ready to do that? Do we have the infrastructure? Is the market really out there? Is that what the students really want?” Caudill said.

According to Caudill, The New College program is over 35 years old and the average student who attends classes is 36 years old. The program has three graduate programs and several undergraduate majors ranging from Business Administration to Philosophy.

Caudill said that going through the award process is the hardest part of receiving the award.

“It reminds me of going through a marathon. Everybody that makes it through those 26 miles is awarded,” Caudill said.