Campus community collecting food and gifts for soldiers

Thousands of servicemen and women will be spending the holiday season deployed to various places across the world.

Members of Hilltop Student Veterans Association, Campus Ministry and Veteran Affairs have joined forces to gather support for these troops by having students write letters to current soldiers that will be mailed off along with care packages.

“It’s to honor men and women who serve our country,” freshman and member of Campus Ministry Dianey Leal said. “We’re sending them a message of gratitude to show our appreciation for their service.”

St. Edward’s University has adopted a platoon of 137 soldiers, currently stationed at Camp Leatherneck in Afghanistan, and will be sending all letters and items to this unit. Items will be collected from Dec. 1-7 and will be shipped by Dec. 9.

Freshman Alexandra Rush is one of many who is able to attend private school as a result of the G.I. Bill. Her father is currently stationed at Camp Bullis in San Antonio, which gives her knowledge of how this kind of support can impact soldiers.

“We’re bringing awareness to people for those who are brave and have fought for our freedom,” Rush said. “We’re also encouraging military support because there’s not enough of it.”

Additionally, the organizations will begin collecting nonperishable items to create Christmas stockings for soldiers; they hope to include baked goods, food and other necessary items.

“I think it’s really thoughtful,” freshman Eriann Panado said. “It shows gratitude for the troops, so it’s nice we’re doing that.”

The Student Veterans Association will also be selling bracelets for $3 that can be pre-ordered from Veteran Affairs Coordinator Chris Garcia in Student Financial Services. Their goal is to bring veterans to St. Edward’s to show them on-campus support and appreciation.

“It also brings awareness to St. Edward’s robust veteran student population,” Garcia said.

Any student interested in donating items should contact Chris Garcia at [email protected] or Dianey Leal, at dleal3@stedwards.