Staff collects food, money to support resident feral cats

The Feral Cat Fund of St. Edward’s University has been providing care for the feral cats on campus for 15 years. A former St. Edward’s employee, Barbara Stratton, started the fund in 1996.

The money goes to necessities such as food, bowls, medical care and spay or neutering services.

“Food and monies can be donated at the Copy Center.  At the current time, we prefer the donations of can cat food or dry cat food,” said Pam McGrew, who helps with the Feral Cat Fund.

Any type of food is welcomed.

“The cats aren’t picky,” McGrew said.

Cats are frequently found on campus and then trapped with a humane trap. If the owner of a cat is unable to be identified, it is then adopted out. Feral cats, or cats that are too wild to tame, are spayed or neutered and released back onto campus. Volunteers feed them all 365 days of the year.

“We try to keep the cats safe and healthy as possible while providing them with nourishment and love,” McGrew said.

The volunteers have come to truly care for these cats.

“I have a group of cat feeders that love coming and taking care of them rain or shine. Many have been doing it for years now,” McGrew said. “When one of the cats disappear[s] or pass[es] on we all miss and grieve for survive.”

A few men that work in the Physical Plant caught the cats and took them to receive their shots and be spayed or neutered. These men even come to campus during the winter break to make sure they have food.

“They’ve been our ‘mascots’ ever since,” Brown said. “They’re probably the chubbiest and friendliest feral cats you’ll ever us.”

The two female cats were named Princess and Sweetie, while the male cat was named Precious since they were unaware that he was a male. Brown explained that their “wimpy” names do not match their tough personas. “They’re tough cats. They hold their own.”

Anyone on the St. Edward’s campus could find these cats outside Residence Life, “prowling around in the bushes.”

For those that are not cat-lovers, there is no need to worry about being pestered.

“They … are pretty skittish around people in general, so they’ll usually back into the bushes and stay away from people,” Brown said.

Despite their anti-social tendencies, Brown maintained that the cats are not dangerous. “We try to make sure that they’re not skulking around begging for food.”

Those that feed the cats seem to be immune to the distant treatment from the cats, however. “Sometimes they come running up to me which means they need food,” Brown said. “We have a very clear relationship.”

The cats have proven themselves a pleasure to the volunteers. “Everyone appreciates them hanging around because we can’t have pets officially,” Brown said. “Its nice to have animals on campus.”