Co-founder of Kozmetsky center dies

*Editor’s note:

The original version of this article, posted early on Nov. 2, relied heavily on uncredited information borrowed from an obituary of Ronya Kozmetsky published in the Austin American-Statesman on Oct. 25.

The original article also reproduced, without attribution, material from a brochure made available to the reporter by the Kozmetsky Center.

In both instances, the Hilltop Views reporter’s  use of material without attribution violates the basic journalistic practices of verifying information and crediting all sources.

The corrected version of the article appears here and will appear in next week’s print edition of Hilltop Views.

We continue to work with our writers to emphasize the importance of original reporting, verification of facts and attribution of sources. We are also reviewing our editing process to correct the flaws that allowed this article to appear as originally published.

Ronya Kozmetsky, who helped established the Kozmetsky Center of Excellence in Global Finance, died Oct. 25.

According to Elisa Diaz-Martinez, the fourth director of the Kozmetsky Center, in 2005, Kozmetsky and her late husband, George, donated $3 million to St. Edward’s University, which was used to set up the center.

The Kozmetskys’ son, Gregory Kozmetsky was a business student at St. Edward’s and a university trustee from 1981 to 2008. He and his wife, Cynthia, who is a 1995 graduate of the New College program at St. Edward’s, will continue to keep the tradition of his parents alive by maintaining their values, work ethic, and care for humanity, according to Sarah Dickens, a researcher in the advancement office at the university.

“Their gift to found the Kozmetsky Center for Excellence in Global Finance has enriched the intellectual life at St. Edward’s by bringing experts in global issues to campus so that students, visitors, and faculty may take a more active role in understanding and shaping the world around them,” said Dickens.

Elisa Diaz-Martinez, the fourth director of the Kozmetsky Center, had never met Ronya Kozmetsky personally but heard from others that she was an energetic person who was concerned with helping others, especially women and children.

Diaz-Martinez said she thinks the Kozmetsky Center has benefited the St. Edward’s community.

“It’s bringing things that you wouldn’t find. It’s something unique,” said Diaz-Martinez.

According to the Kozmetsky Center, the couple founded several organizations in Austin that were dedicated to helping others. Their main foundation was the RGK, which was established by them in 1966.  According to Dickens, the Kozmetsky’s personal gifts to the university and the RGK foundation add up to more than $6 million and has been used to help support the initiatives of some St. Edward’s University presidents.

Diaz-Martinez described how each year, the center hosts a new theme and this year’s is “Millennium Challenges for Humanity.” The center focuses on different topics each month that apply to the theme and keynote speakers come and address the students.