International student enrollment increasing

This year St. Edward’s University welcomed more international students to its campus than ever before.

In fall 2010, St. Edward’s was home to 166 international students. This semester, the number increased nearly 50 percent to 237 students. This semester hosts students from several countries, including Saudi Arabia, Belgium, Japan and Costa Rica.

International student senior Mario Morales said living in Austin has high appeal.

“After doing some research about all the places where I could study in the U.S., I found a big number of excellent comments about this city,” Morales said.

Morales said it was the “characteristic beauty and peacefulness” that caused him to choose Austin for his study abroad plans. He is continuing his studies in business management and administration long after his initial plan of only one year.

Saudi Arabia-born Frenchman Charbel Chahine earned his bachelor’s degree in computer science from St. Edward’s and is now pursuing a Master of Business Administration. He has lived in Austin for eight years and says one of the biggest differences between Texas and France is the people.

“In the U.S. people are a lot more sociable,” Chahine said.

Chahine said misconceptions are common when living and learning with foreigners. Some international students hope to squash some of the preconceived notions about their homelands.

“Not all French people hate Americans,” Chahine said.

Sophomore Jezreel Asare said his homeland of Germany is a very diverse and respectful culture.

“I would love for other students to know that Germany has a very rich and strong tradition, just like the Americans,” Asare said. “We have a lot to