University organizes fire relief

Campus Ministry is continually collecting both money and donations of supplies.

At the Involvement Fair on Sept. 7, Campus Ministry collected $240 in Topper Tender donations, as well as $265 in cash donations. Peanut butter, granola bars, canned meat with pop or pull lids and bottled water are also being collected by Campus Ministry.

“We’re asking for these items because of their protein content,” said Monica Frazier, assistant director of Campus Ministry. “Canned meats and peanut butter are easy ways to balance out protein in a workers.”

Although Campus Ministry is not currently offering shelter to St. Edward’s University students affected by the fire, there could be plans for that in the near future.

“We’re currently discussing what can be done with the money [we’ve raised] in terms of shelter, such as hotel rooms,” Frazier said.

As of Sept. 8 at 4 p.m., nine students were evacuated from their homes from the fires, and the homes of three students’ families were burned down, according to Lisa Kirkpatrick, associate vice president of student affairs and dean of students.

Kirkpatrick adds that her office does not know about all cases, and that students should contact their residence director or the office of dean of students at (512)-448-8408.

The Health and Counseling Center at St. Edward’s is also offering their resources to fire victims.

On Sept. 8, the Health and Counseling Center sent out an e-mail with tips on how students can stay safe and healthy during the fires.

These tips include staying nside as much as possible, exercising indoors, staying hydrated and seeking medical attention if you have trouble breathing.

Counseling and health services are available for anyone, and appointments can be made at their offices in Lady Bird Johnson Hall, suite 100, or by calling (512)-448-8686.

Further ways to donate or volunteer can be inquired through agencies such as Catholic Charities of Central Texas at ccctx.org, and the American Red Cross of Central Texas at http://centex.redcross.org.