SGA hears bills on parking, green fee and student involvement

The St. Edward’s University Student Government Association met last week to discuss old business, plans to get more students involved in SGA, parking tickets at the intramural fields and a proposed green fee.

President Vianney Becerra headed the Sept. 22 meeting, which began with a follow up on Legislative Resolution 102 concerning walk-in and appointment services at the Health and Counseling Center (HCC). Claudia Carroll, director of the HCC, and Mary Jones, head nurse practitioner, met with SGA to answer questions about the current HCC policies.

The interview focused mainly on the accessibility of HCC contact information so that students know what medical services are offered, and the possibility of medical staff being available during the after hour times of nights and weekends in the future.

Senator Brady Faglie updated SGA about the Athletic Committee’s progress on plans to promote campus sporting events.

“Basically, we’ve been given a blank check by the RAs. Not a blank check in terms of how much money we get, but what we are going to do with that money,” Faglie said. “We are going to put our name on it; they are just going to do a lot of the leg work as far as getting paperwork put projects.”

Vice President Ryan Villarreal concluded on the note that he hoped more students would attend SGA meetings and contribute their ideas.

“As you can see, there’s a lot of empty seats,” Villarreal said. “Those empty seats should be filled by students, and that responsibility falls on us. I want to make sure that all of us are taking that responsibility upon ourselves and really getting students