Becerra-Villarreal ticket win election

Juniors Vianney Becerra and Ryan Villarreal will be the new president and vice president, respectively, of the Student Government Association after a landslide victory.

Becerra and Villarreal overcame the opposing ticket of Karissa Eudy and Noah Corn by taking 61 percent of the vote over Eudy and Corn’s 39 percent.

The 22-point win translated to a difference of 146 votes. Out of a total of 692 votes over the course of a week-long election that ended Monday at 5 p.m., the Becerra-Villarreal ticket had 419, and Eudy-Corn had 273.

The total number of students voting seems to be decreasing for the second year running. During last year’s spring elections, 770 students voted, which was down 25 percent from 2009, when 1,052 voted.

This year’s elections also had nine students running unopposed for senator positions. Last year there was one other contested race — for sophomore class senator.

Becerra, currently chief justice of the Student Court of Appeals, said she and Junior Class Senator Villarreal are grateful to have been elected.

“There is a lot of work to be done, and we are fully committed to tackling each and every issue that comes our way,” Becerra said in a statement to Hilltop Views. “We will always put each student first and will fight for their needs.”