Library starts search for new director, interviews candidate

The Scarborough-Phillips Library is looking for a new director to fill the vacancy that will be left by Tom Leonhardt when he retires this summer.

Vice President for Information Technology David Waldron is the chair of the committee searching for a new director. The committee is looking for a candidate who will fulfill the goals outlined in the St. Edward’s University 2015 Strategic Plan.

According to the 2015 Strategic Plan, “[The university’s] vision is to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st century global world.” Waldron said that in order to fulfill this vision, the committee is looking for a candidate who has knowledge of technology as it can be applied to libraries and who has experience in library renovation and being a library director.

Waldron said changes in technology have had an impact on libraries, so the committee is looking for a candidate who can adapt and keep the St. Edward’s library up to date.

“This is a time of great change in academic libraries,” Waldron said. “We’re looking to identify a candidate who has a specific vision of what libraries can and need to do to prepare students to be successful in the 21st century.”

Waldron said the university wishes to renovate and expand the library, although a source for all the funding required has not yet been found. Experience in library renovation is a quality the committee would like to see in a director candidate.

“We’re looking for a candidate deeply interested in the design of libraries [and] how the design of a library can facilitate student learning,” Waldron said.

The committee posted the job listing on the St. Edward’s website, advertised the position in The Chronicle of Higher Education, and has been soliciting nominations and applications. Waldron said the committee has received about 40 applications and conducted some interviews but is still in the process of identifying finalists.

One candidate being considered is Lisa Guedea Carreño. An open interview of Carreño was held March 28 in Mabee Ballroom C. Attendees, including students and library staff, were free to ask questions and meet the new candidate.

Normally the committee would not interview any individual candidates until more finalists have been selected. Carreño was interviewed early because of a personal scheduling conflict that prevents her from being interviewed during the summer.

Waldron said Carreño was being considered because she has significant experience in running an academic library. Carreño has also worked in corporate and law libraries doing environmental scanning, or assessing social and economic trends critical to an organization or corporation’s future. Waldron said environmental scanning has given Carreño experience in accessing, assessing and synthesizing information — skills that Waldron believes would prepare St. Edward’s students for life in the 21st century.

“Because the world is changing so rapidly, these are important qualities for our graduates to have,” Waldron said.

The committee will continue to interview candidates, and more open interviews will be held in coming months. When the committee makes their decision, they will send their recommendation to Sr. Donna Jurick, executive vice president and provost at St. Edward’s. Jurick will make the final decision about the new director.

In the meantime, Waldron said the library staff will supplant the need for a director. He said the committee would like to have a new director by the beginning of the fall semester.

“The search for finalists is continuing,” Waldron said.