Music for the Soul a night of hip-hop, jazz and charity

For two hours, the open space between Hunt and LeMans Halls was alive with the sounds of music and applause as a concert drew students outside.

The Students of African Heritage Association paid homage on March 30 to hip-hop, jazz and soul music with its Third Annual Music for the Soul Concert.

Music for the Soul originated in 2009 and was the result of collaboration between juniors Rehema Adbul, Jessica Collins, Danielle Samuel and Taylor Batch. The event began as a small concert in the Meadows Coffee shop during their freshman year and has evolved into a revue show of various genres of music, showcasing the talents of several students.

“The four of us didn’t know each other our freshman year,” Abdul said. “We weren’t even officers in the organization, and we just wanted to see SAHA grow. We brought four people together who excelled in different skills, and we all worked hard to put on a great event.”

SAHA teamed up with the St. Edward’s Jazz Band and a student band, known as the Dandy Lions, to provide musical support for the event. Students unaffiliated with any group also sang various covers that came from older bands, like The Jackson 5, to more recent singers, such as Adele.

The planning of Music for the Soul is a yearlong process, Batch said. Throughout the year, SAHA members pitch song ideas and plan the dates for auditions and the concert.

Toward the end of the fall semester, the four SAHA members finalize the dates and begin to choose a charity to sponsor.

In the beginning of the spring semester, SAHA holds auditions. Rehearsals that lead up to the concert date begin in February.

Batch and Adbul are the artistic directors, and Collins and Samuel manage the budget and event planning for the concert. Samuel also acted as one of the two hosts, as she did last year.

Music for the Soul is not just an opportunity for students to hear their friends cover popular songs. It is also a charity event. Last year, SAHA donated the proceeds of Music for the Soul to a Haiti relief fund sponsored by Campus Ministry, and this year the organization chose to work with Kids in a New Groove, a non-profit organization that provides music lessons to children in the Texas foster care system.

SAHA was able to raise $203 for KING through cupcake sales and donations made during the event.

In 2010, SAHA received the “Event of the Year” award given by the Multicultural Leadership Board and Recognized Organizations Council. Aside from Music for the Soul, SAHA also hosted a Boys & Girls Club Halloween extravaganza and The N-Word Panel earlier this semester.

According to Abdul, the turnout for Music for the Soul has grown significantly over the years. An estimated 100 people attended this year.

“[Music for the Soul] is a fun event to put on, and it goes to show that you don’t need to have an unlimited budget to be able to put on a great event,” Abdul said.