Students remember fellow classmate

Mario Nicolas Bandiera, an exchange student from Buenos Aires, Argentina, died in his room in Teresa Hall the morning of Feb. 21, according to university spokeswoman Mischelle Diaz. He was 21.

Paul Rambaud, a freshman student from France and friend of Bandiera’s, said Bandiera died of appendicitis and was sick for about a week leading up to his death.

Bandiera was remembered at a candlelight vigil held at Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto Feb. 21 at 9 p.m.

This semester was Bandiera’s first at St. Edward’s University. He was a computer information science major who was planning on returning to his university in Buenos Aires, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa, by next fall semester.

Erin Garcia, Bandiera’s international advisor, said Bandiera touched the St. Edward’s community during his short time here.

“He was at that stage where he was just starting to make those connections… No one really got a chance to know him that well besides the few people he got to know right away,” Garcia said. “He affected both the international community and the community here.”

Rambaud was one of the people Bandiera met soon after arriving in Austin. Rambaud and Bandiera became friends when they met at the Austin airport in January. Both were just beginning their study abroad experiences in Austin.

“We became very good friends very fast,” Rambaud said. “I was his best friend here, and he was mine.”

Rambaud remembered Bandiera as a kind and understanding person.

“[He was] helpful, caring, and very patient. He was passionate about soccer. He really loved going out on Sixth Street and sharing good moments with his friends. He was just discovering Austin, and he really liked it,” Rambaud said. “I remember spending all my Sundays with him remembering the night before.”

Matt Maitland, a junior exchange student from Scotland and another person Bandiera became friends with soon after arriving in Austin, lived in Teresa Hall with Bandiera.

Both Maitland and Rambaud said that Bandiera was generally a shy person, but was always ready to go out with a small group of close friends.

“He was really quiet, but he was really nice. He would never say anything bad about anyone,” Maitland said.

Maitland remembered playing pool tournaments with Bandiera in Teresa.

“He would never let me win. He was too good,” Maitland said.

Bandiera is survived by his parents and twin sister in Buenos Aires.

Rambaud said Bandiera’s sister called Bandiera an “angel,” saying that “nobody can be that kind.”

“I’ve never met a guy like this before…[he was] helpful and understanding—he was a good person,” Rambaud said.