SGA senator abruptly resigns

The Student Government Association lost another member when Celso Baez, senator of the senior class and chair of the Intergovernmental Affairs committee, stepped down from his positions Feb. 7.

His letter of resignation, given to the executive board that afternoon, did not give a specific reason for why he is leaving SGA.

“My decision to resign finalized after long and careful consideration of all factors,” Baez said in the letter, without specifying what those factors are.

In the meantime, though there is a vacancy in Baez’s senate seat, Executive Senator of the Schools Eric Bustos is acting as interim chair for IGA. He has worked with Baez in IGA since last spring, when Baez encouraged him to take a position in that committee.

Bustos has decided not to act as IGA chair full-time because he has too much else to do.

“I have too many other commitments that would prevent me from doing the job effectively and fulfilling the requirements of the IGA chair position,” Bustos said.

Baez’ resignation comes on the tails of two others that occurred last fall, when Blanca Garcia vacated the presidency and Andrew Guerrero left an opening in the sophomore senate seat that Leigh Anne Winger later filled.

After Garcia resigned, vice president Krista Heiden took over as president, leaving a vacancy in the vice presidency that Noah Corn filled when he won a week-long special election.

There will not be elections to fill Baez’s two positions. Instead, students with 72 credit hours who are interested in the senior senator seat can apply with SGA in the Student Life office. SGA does not have an application deadline for the senate seat.

Only senators can apply for the IGA chair position. The interested senators had until Feb. 15 to turn in the application.