New head of Holy Cross appointed

A new appointment at the Holy Cross Institute will ensure that the organization’s mission is continued and its events go as planned.

The Jan. 10 death of Br. Stephen Walsh left a vacancy at the Holy Cross Institute at St. Edward’s University. In Walsh’s absence, Br. Joel Giallanza was appointed interim executive director.

“I feel honored and humble,” Giallanza said, referring to his appointment.

Until the Board of Directors starts its search for a permanent director, Giallanza will join the Holy Cross Institute as the interim director toward the end of February.

The Board still needs to examine and update Walsh’s job duties and post a job listing. The Board is hoping to start its search next fall and find a permanent director within the next 18 months, according to university Exectutive Vice President and Provost Sr. Donna Jurick.

Giallanza has been involved with St. Edward’s University not only as a student but also as a lecturer in the past. Like others around campus, he knew Walsh–for more than 30 years–and he was already familiar with all the upcoming events that Walsh was preparing for the summer.

Walsh’s contribution to St. Edward’s as a student, president, and the director of the Holy Cross Institute is still remembered today, Giallanza said, adding that Walsh’s “trust in people’s ability” was among his many qualities.

Walsh founded the College Assistance Migrant Program program and implemented the Cultural Foundations classes and Capstone paper. Walsh was also the first to encourage and initiate bilingual education and writing programs for the university.

Brother John A. Perron said Walsh’s biggest concern was providing the best education for students to succeed.

“He was creative, bright and insightful,” Perron said.

The Holy Cross Institute will search for a permanent director who can continue Walsh’s plans and mission.

Jurick said the Holy Cross Institute is looking for “someone who will help [the university] preserve the spirit.”

Giallanza said that he was excited to be involved in the St. Edward’s environment once again and to rejoin the diverse student body. While he is interim director, Giallanza wants to continue Walsh’s vision and support and encourage people as much as Walsh did.

“He was all about giving people opportunities,” Giallanza said.