VP candidates square off before special election

Low student turnout and a pulled fire alarm did not deter the candidates for vice president of the Student Government Association from a debate Thursday.

Though time constraints as a result of the unscheduled fire alarm cut the debate short, the candidates for SGA vice president, juniors Noah Corn and Vianney Becerra, answered questions about their qualifications, the role of the vice president and their plans for working with SGA President Krista Heiden.

“Though I saw only a few non-SGA members, I think the end result was not regrettable given the circumstances,” Corn said in a later interview. “Because this special election is taking place in the middle of the semester, it is hard to make the student body aware of events like the debate.”

SGA Advisor Marisa Lacey moderated the debate. Lacey asked four questions and gave each of them two minutes to respond. The candidates could then ask each other a question and present their closing statements.

In her closing statement, Becerra said that her current position as chief of the Student Court of Appeals has allowed her to remain objective, which is what she believes SGA needs as the voice of the student body.

Corn, who is committee chair of Legislative Initiatives, senator of the school of Humanities and senate president pro tempore, said in his closing statement that the recent resignations from SGA are not indicative of dissatisfaction with the organization.

On Oct. 28, Blanca Garcia resigned as SGA president, leaving Heiden to vacate the vice presidency to become president. Andrew Guerrero, senator of the sophomore class, also left to focus on other activities.

In separate interviews with Hilltop Views after the debate, the candidates answered further questions.

Different strengths

Both candidates said their experiences in two different branches of student government will allow them to become good vice presidents.

“I have a unique and unbiased perspective that has developed into a management style of fairness and equality,” Becerra said.

This perspective is a result of her time in SGA. Becerra served as an associate justice of the Student Court of Appeals, which hears parking ticket and elections appeals. She became the court’s chief justice of the court in August.

Corn said his familiarity with the legislative process is a boon to SGA because it will allow the senate to continue passing bills and initiatives that will benefit SGA and the student body.

Corn said he has contributed to nearly 20 pieces of legislation in his time in SGA. He has also served as a senator for two years and was recently elected to the position of president pro tempore by SGA members, meaning that he has presided over SGA meetings since Heiden became president.

Corn recently co-sponsored a legislative resolution that, if passed, will ask the university to add a business course to the general education curriculum that all students have to take to graduate. The resolution, authored by Albert Vasquez-Paz, senator of the School of Business and Management, was up for first reading at the SGA meeting that took place after the debate.

The vice president oversees the three committees of the association. In addition to LI, there is also the Intergovernmental Affairs Committee and the Student Outreach Committee.

“As vice president, I wouldn’t have a direct hand in authoring or legislating, but I would have a strong hand in facilitating the passing of legislation,” Corn said. “I will make sure everyone in the association is involved in getting things passed.”

Student outreach

Both senators are also concerned with reaching out to students. According to Becerra, SGA does not do a good enough job of that right now.

At some events hosted by the association, there is not enough face-to-face interaction between senators and their constituents, Becerra said. She said she will work to strengthen the connection between SGA and the student body.

“Let’s be honest here,” Becerra said. “Students simply do not know who we are. They don’t know who their representatives are, and they do not know the appropriate channels and procedures to go through to make their voices heard.”

She said making the association more accessible to students will be her primary focus if she is elected.

Corn said he also wants to bolster the relationship between SGA and the student body by talking to students and faculty before passing legislation.

Their respective campaigns have sought for votes by using methods beyond the typical posters hanging in Ragsdale Center and elsewhere. Both candidates have also used social networking to make students aware of the special election.

Becerra has created an event on Facebook asking students to vote for her. Corn has also created an event, which he has called “Rally to Restore Sanity,” as well as a Twitter account, a Facebook group and a Facebook friend named Vote Corn.

The election will last until Thursday at 5 p.m., when the candidates will be notified of the winner. Students can cast their ballots on CollegiateLink at stedwards.collegiatelink.net.