Glee places increased focus on issues of sexuality

“Glee,” Fox’s latest hit show, has presented issues related to teens since it began, but recently, an unexpected occurrence has raised the bar.

On a recent episode Kurt, a New Directions club member and the only openly homosexual boy in school, was being bullied by a Football jock and getting shoved violently into lockers. When he stands up to the bully, he receives an unexpected and unwanted surprise. The jock kisses him.

“Glee” has portrayed many issues such as teen sex, teen pregnancy and teacher ethics but has relied on sexuality and being gay/lesbian in high school as major issues.

In a society where being homosexual is becoming more acceptable but is still looked down upon by some, gay/lesbian students have to make the choice of when and if they will come out. As “Glee” shows, there are those who will bully because they don’t agree with the way that others live their lives.

“There are still a lot of barriers,” freshman Hope Breeding said. “One of my best guy friends was trying to start a gay-straight alliance and it was easy, but another friend tried and it was rejected because of possible threats on his life. It kind of depends on the area because previous generation’s views on the gay lifestyle are still being taught to [children in] more rural areas.”

Freshman Joe Arellano said that the show portrays the problems that gay/lesbian students face to some extent.

Students agree that the situations are a little over dramatized because it is a TV show and that bullying because of homosexuality specifically is not as common as the show makes it seem. Some students agreed that bullying in general is a big problem that needs to be dealt with but that it affects more than just the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community.

As for the jock who is trying to hide his feelings by bullying Kurt, it is found to be a common occurrence.

“I wasn’t expecting the guy to kiss [Kurt]” Breeding said of the show. “He didn’t seem like the type of guy who would kiss him. Especially because he was bullying him but I guess it makes sense because psych says that we hate the things about ourselves in other people.”

Freshman Megan Tillman believes that there are a lot of people that do this because they want to feel like other people are in the same boat as them and they stay in denial because they don’t want to accept it.

“People need to learn how to find themselves in a peaceful way,” freshman Ryan Duplantis said. In other words, denying won’t change anything, it only makes things worse.

Kurt is not alone in his struggle but some are having an easier time such as viewer favorites, Cheerios and New Directions members, Brittany and Santana. Though it is unclear exactly what the relationship is, at the beginning of “Duets” Brittany and Santana are seen kissing on a bed. Santana claims to have only done that because Puck, a fellow “Glee” clubber, isn’t around. But in a previous episode Brittany had implied that the two have had sex.

Though Brittany and Santana have been with several of the male characters on the show, there are several moments where audiences can assume that something more than friendship is occurring between the two girls.

Why does Kurt face problems with his homosexuality while Brittany and Santana, or Brittana to those dedicated fans, don’t? Realistically would they have as many problems as Kurt has?

Tillman believes it is more acceptable for women to be lesbian than for guys to be gay because of stereotypes and judgments made by peers.

“Only stereotypical lesbians [have an easier time],” Breeding said. “The ones who are ‘hot’ and have make out sessions, but otherwise it’s pretty hard on both sexes.”

“Glee” remains a popular show for many due to its comedy, dance and music numbers, but the show often presents socially relevant issues.

“It’s about high school which is a time everyone idolizes, but no one really wants to go back [to],” Breeding said.”