Writing contest offers opportunity for self-reflection

What would you do if you had 72 hours to live? The Fountain, a bimonthly magazine of scientific and spiritual thought, asks this question in its Last 72 Writing Contest.

Not only will the top 1,000-1,500 word essays be published in The Fountain, but the writers also have a chance to appear on “Last 72,” a new reality show by the Everest Production Company. The show allows its participants to live their lives to the fullest in a span of three days and change the perspective of its contestants.

There are also monetary benefits. First place receives $5,000, second place wins $2,000 and third place receives $1,000, while the top 13 all receive special prizes.

The contest, which challenges applicants with questions like, “Who should you apologize to?”, and “Are you at peace with how you lead your life?” is being promoted by St. Edward’s University through James Puglisi, associate director of Campus Ministry.

Puglisi explained that St. Edward’s connection to the contest is through the local Institute of Interfaith Dialogue, a part of the international Gülen Movement. The Gülen Movement, of Turkish origin, promotes interfaith dialogue and emphasizes the importance of science. The Fountain, the magazine sponsoring Last 72, promotes Gülen ideals as well, so the contest was well received by IID. St. Edward’s and IID have a strong relationship–the university has hosted Iftar dinners and interfaith dialogues on campus several times in the past.

Puglisi said that Campus Ministry encourages students to take part in the contest.

“When we can, we promote self-reflection, as it’s a part of the spiritual process and a part of understanding ourselves,” he said.

St. Edward’s junior Danielle Samuel is applying for the Last 72 because she doesn’t believe she is seizing each day.

“As a busy college student, I noticed I go through the day without even considering if it was going to be my last,” Samuel said. “That is not to say that I am living life in fear, but I just want to make sure that I am making the most of my day and others’ days. It is not all about me.”

Samuel encourages everyone to enter the Last 72 for self-reflective purposes.

“It will help them step back and take note of what they are doing throughout the day and in life,” she said. “It will make you evaluate if you are staying true to yourself and your morals, or if you are making a difference.”

Puglisi commented that the contest holds wide appeal because of its mix of writing and the potential to be on a reality show.

“The contest draws on both contemporary culture as well as traditional academic approaches,” Puglisi said. “It’s beneficial for any person to do introspective activities, and any exercise in writingis a good process for college students as they learn to articulate their thoughts.”

Puglisi believes responses to the contest will showcase the commonalities between individuals.

“No matter where you are from, people have somewhat similar thoughts and ideas. But these basic commonalities become nuanced by culture, religion and other contextual factors,” Puglisi said.

The contest is meant to embody the St. Edward’s mission statement, Puglisi added.

“[The ideals of the contest] are a part of our mission as an institution to embrace diversity, and we find out the nature of diversity through story,” Puglisi said. “Narrative is one of the best ways to learn of other people.”