Mates of State to play on campus

St. Edward’s University will be celebrating its 125th anniversary with a giant party and live music on the Main Building Lawn

Along with several university performing acts and lots of free food and cake, it has been confirmed that indie pop group Mates of State will be the headliners at this year’s celebration, scheduled for Oct. 22.

Mates of State are the husband and wife duo of vocalist/keyboarder Kori Gardner and vocalist/drummer Jason Hammel. While it may seem like a bare-bones combination, the band has a full and tight sound, filled with both musical and lyrical hooks.

Mates of State is known for their boy-girl harmonies and abundance of energy, and they will undoubtedly bring those qualities to St. Edward’s.

Junior Alex Simons, the concerts and talent coordinator for the University Programming Board, explained that the decision to bring Mates of State to campus was the direct result of hearing student’s voices on the issue.

Last April, Student Life conducted an annual survey to request feedback on a number of Student Life programs, and 339 students participated. One of the first questions asked students to rank their top five choices for bands to play at the 125th Birthday Celebration.

“Of the five listed, which included The Cool Kids, Copeland, Eric Hutchinson and Matt & Kim, Mates of State was at the top of that list,” Simons said in an email interview.

UPB then went through the process of contacting the band and booking them for the celebration.

“When UPB books a band, we contact the band’s booking agency. Or, for smaller bands, we contact the band directly,” Simons said.

In the case with Mates of State, UPB contacted their booking agency and asked for their availability for the date of the 125th Birthday Party. UPB uses the university’s contract and the band’s contract to confirm event details. In addition, UPB works with vendors to arrange sound, stage and lighting.

Simons said Mates of State is scheduled to perform from 6-8 p.m., and that UPB plans to begin the hunt for bands to perform in the spring within the coming weeks.