Huge cake for huge year

The St. Edward’s University Art Department will be cooking up a fantastic exhibit for the upcoming 125th anniversary of the school: a giant cake.

The sculpture was commissioned by the Marketing Office for the occasion and promises food for thought during the celebration.  

Assistant professor Hollis Hammonds’ new Art in Public Spaces class will be creating the work in the weeks leading up to the ceremony as their official debut piece. Many of the artists in the class were involved in creating Hunt Hall Café’s distinctive new artwork over the summer and are actively working with the university to create more public art.

“We hope to make more installments for Hunt Hall and the campus in general,” Hammonds said.

The cake will reside in Ragsdale after its initial debut as a public art piece, much like the other works Hammonds and her students are looking forward to creating around campus.

“Keep your eyes out,” junior Laura Aldrich said when asked where the next installation would be.

The Art Department is still discussing locations, ideas and the content of these proposed public art works with the university.

Details about the cake, like flavor, are not ready to be disclosed yet, though Hammonds said the sculpture will be interactive and feature sounds, photographs and interviews with students.

If the sight of a giant cake arouses your taste buds, don’t worry: the sculpture cake will be accompanied by plenty of the real thing on Oct. 22 in celebration of 125 years of St. Edward’s University.