Meatless munchies for all appetites

On Friday, Austinites embraced their inner herbivores for Hug a Vegetarian Day. Although St. Edward’s  University doesn’t officially celebrate this animal-friendly holiday, there are plenty of ways to explore vegetarianism year round. Try a new food, recipe, or restaurant.  There are many ways everyone can be involved.

Even for those who aren’t too fond of leafy greens, Austin has much to offer for hungry vegetarians close to campus.

Just down Guadalupe near the University of Texas campus, Veggie Heaven is serving “Healthy Vegetarian Cuisine with a Delicious Oriental Flavor.” Veggie Heaven is one of the most well-known and loved restaurants among St. Edward’s students, even those who aren’t vegetarian.  

The restaurant offers cheap, delicious food, and they serve it quickly.  One of their most popular dishes is the Protein 2000, and while it sounds like something a body builder would eat, it tastes just like chicken. For only $6.95, the dish doesn’t leave much room for complaints.  Veggie Heaven also delivers, so if you’re one of the lucky few living in the Guadalupe area, it is a healthy, delicious option.

Closer to campus is Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse. Located on South First Street, the small restaurant was started as a means to bring people together to enjoy fresh, healthy vegetarian food, and to reflect the area of Austin surrounding it. According to bouldincreek.com, the coffee house provides, “fairly priced wholesome food and a wide array of tasty beverages, and have shown vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike that veggie fare can be both flavorful and satisfying.”  

For those under the impression that eating meat-free food means eating strictly salad, Bouldin Creek is a pleasant surprise.  

One standout dish is their “Kool Summer Sammich”: grilled ciabatta bread, chipotle pecan pesto spread, roma tomato, red onions, sprouts, cucumbers, field greens, and carrots.  If that sounds a little too veggie-friendly, try the Veggie Chorizo taco, which also includes eggs with Cheddar and Monterrey Jack cheese.  Bouldin Creek is also dog friendly, and customers often bring their four-legged friends along while they enjoy their vegetarian cuisine.

Other popular vegetarian restaurants in Austin include Casa de Luz, a vegan restaurant; Koriente, a restaurant and teahouse; and Mother’s Café and Garden.

Another appetizing option is to try out a few vegetarian recipes at home.

There are several quick and easy dishes, like a Grilled Green Apple and Gruyere Sandwich.  Prep time for the meal is only five minutes, and cook time is eight minutes.

Ingredients:

•8 slices of bread

•8 teaspoons of softened butter

•1 Granny Smith apple, sliced thinly

•1-½ cups of grated Gruyere cheese

•4 tablespoons of honey

•A pinch of salt and pepper

It has the same preparation and method of cooking as grilled cheese, so it’s not too foreign to make. Just spread the butter on each slice of bread, layer the apple slices, cheese, and honey on each piece, then top it with the remaining bread. Once the sandwiches are golden brown, you have a healthy dish that can be enjoyed by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians.

For a more indulgent vegetarian snack, Veggie Pizza is easy to make and will be ready in 25 minutes. After preheating the oven to 350 degrees, bake one can of refrigerated crescent roll dough until it’s golden brown.  Once it’s cooled, spread a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, and dill.  Finally, veggie lovers can top the pizza with whatever vegetable they prefer before letting the final product chill for about five minutes.

For more information and recipes on vegetarian or even vegan food, there are several helpful websites online that have an abundance of recipes, including Happy Herbivore, Urban Vegan, and Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.

Whether it’s trying out a new vegetarian restaurant, using a new recipe, or trading a cheeseburger for a tofu burger, there are plenty of ways to celebrate National Hug a Vegetarian Day every day.  Try something new, tell a friend, and most importantly, don’t forget to hug a vegetarian.