Art spruces up Hunt Hall Cafe

This fall, St. Edward’s University’s Hunt Hall Café revealed an artistic renovation crawling up from the ground and stacked upon the wall—a tree with artwork for leaves.

The project began in June when Bon Appetite contacted Assistant Professor Hollis Hammonds, seeking new ideas for an artistic design to fill the large vacant wall near the bakery.

“We were given fabric swatches from the couches for inspiration, but we were not necessarily bound to any color scheme or style,” Hammonds said. “Over the summer, I contacted some of my students and I set up time slots. We all worked very hard and embarked on a six-week volunteer project.”

The Hunt Hall Project includes five to 15 pieces of art from St. Edward’s art students senior Kelly Hanus, senior Aidan Liller, senior Monica Wright, Natalie Wilson, Rianna MacMillan, senior Christopher Thomas and Katy Potts. The tree also features art by Hammonds.

The project is composed of a total of 101 paintings and collages of multiple images.

“I love the artwork displayed near the bakery,” freshman Anita Granados said. “It gives a very welcoming vibe, and it is reminder that we are a strong and talented community.”

Despite the picture frames and interchangeable appearance of the artwork, the piece of art will not be rotated or replaced.

“It is beautiful and timeless,” Hammonds said. “It does not need to be changed. However, I strongly believe it opens the door for many other projects in the near future.”

On Oct. 8, Bon Appetit is sponsoring an opening reception for the art project, allowing the artists to speak about their work.

“The students love that their work will be in a public place,” Hammonds said.

Students should look forward to more art displays throughout campus in the near future. Bon Appetit has already asked the Art Department for more design ideas for Hunt Hall.

In addition, Meadows Coffeehouse, managed by Jo’s, has expressed interest in having student artwork on display. Student artwork is also currently on display in the Andre Hall lobby, as well as on the second floor of the Scarborough-Phillips Library.