Adjunct brings real world experience to classroom

Students enrolled in Stephen Yanoff’s presentational speaking class learn within the first week that he not only likes to tell a lot of jokes, but also that he brings with him a variety of hobbies and experiences that range from scuba diving to Wall Street finance.

“My business career has provided an in-depth knowledge of the real world of business and commerce, which is where most students will end up,” Yanoff said.

For one class, he brought his scuba gear to compare the types of breathing used underwater to the types used behind a lectern.

A native New Yorker who has retained his accent, Yanoff pursued various interests before becoming a presentational speaking professor.

“My archaeological and history hobbies have introduced me to Greece and Italy, two of the most important centers of ancient oratory and rhetoric,” Yanoff said. “I try to combine both areas to make teaching more interesting and relevant to all students.”

He went to Texas A&M University despite receiving a wrestling scholarship from Columbia University. Once there, he stopped playing sports and started writing comedy plays instead.

After college, he returned to his home state and tried his hand as a playwright and stand-up comedian in New York City.

To earn a living, he went to work in the high-risk insurance business, but his office was two blocks from the World Trade Center, and, after the 9/11 attacks, it became inaccessible. He eventually decided to move to Austin.

“I always loved Austin when I was in Texas as a college student,” Yanoff said. “It has lots of culture and great weather. Plus, I wanted to be near my daughters.”

Once in Austin, he became involved in charity work and other projects. His favorite is the Go Project, which allows special needs students from the Austin Independent School District to take classes and receive job training at St. Edward’s.

He does not limit his time simply to teaching and helping the community, however. As an avid scuba diver, he dives around the world for archeological artifacts. His current project is to locate, with other divers, the last base of famous French pirate Jean Lafitte on Padre Island, where a rumored $500 million in gold is said to reside.

“The best teachers, in my humble opinion, are those that have actually accomplished something off-campus,” Yanoff said. “But have not lost their love and appreciation of academics.”

He loves to teach at St. Edward’s and finds his colleagues to be inspirational.

“There are so many teachers here who want to help students,” he said. “They really seem to care, and it’s great to be part of a university that does such great work.”

[email protected]