Campus construction continues

Construction at St. Edward’s University continues this semester as ongoing projects come to a close and new projects break ground.

Over the winter break, Physical Plant took advantage of the empty campus to begin work on several projects and continued others that were already underway last semester.

The Scarborough-Phillips Library received a face lift. In an attempt to give the library an updated look, the reception desk was relocated, and new seating was added.

Among other ongoing campus projects is an extension to the fire line between Fleck Hall and the Scarborough-Phillips Library. The line is 60 to 65 percent complete, said Michael Peterson, director of the Physical Plant.

Work on the new intramural field outside of Teresa Hall has also started.

Several construction projects have recently been completed or are close to being finished. The St. Edward’s fountain, located in front of Main Building in the Ragsdale Plaza, is complete and operational after being shut down last semester because of “Stage 2” water restrictions and a leaking water pump, Peterson said.

After being closed since Sept. 28 because of a leak in a chiller pipe in Ragsdale Center, repairs to Jones Auditorium are near completion. Finishing touches are being made to the structural portion of the auditorium, mainly in the crawlspace.

Many on campus are happy to hear that Jones Auditorium will be reopening in the next few weeks, including some in the Student Life office. Katrina Woolery, assistant director of Student Life Programming and Transitional Experiences, said having the space available again will be a relief.

“Any time general meeting space is shut down, it will impact Student Life due to the number and frequency of activities offered by our office,” Woolery said. “Jones is our only true auditorium on campus, and several of Student Life’s programs are best suited for this type of venue.”

Although the closure of Jones Auditorium has caused inconveniences, Woolery said that all offices and programs have successfully worked together and compromised to accommodate the campus community.

“I must say that the Ragsdale Center staff has and continues to do a tremendous job coordinating the scheduling needs of our campus and should be commended for their patience and effort,” said Woolery.

The next major project on campus will start this semester and will tie the Fine Arts building and St. Joseph’s Hall into the central chiller plant.

“This is intended to separate the [Fine Arts] building and St. Joe’s from the same heating and cooling unit,” said Peterson. “It will allow for better temperature control in the arts building.”

In the meantime, construction tape is likely to remain a familiar sight on campus.