Students sing the praises for Fox’s Glee

In a time when procedural dramas like “Law & Order” and “CSI” are a dime a dozen, musical comedies are ultimately unheard of. However, “Glee,” a new show in the fall line up from the creative minds at Fox, has broken through.

“Glee’s” pilot debut thrid in its time slot. Weekly, the show is up against “Criminal Minds,” “Modern Family” and “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.”

“Glee” has officially been approved for a full season, and has been met with considerable popularity. The plot focuses around a high school Glee Club, blending elements of music, comedy and drama to tell a story.

The musical focus of the show is somewhat unprecedented on Primetime television, which has attracted the attention of many St. Edward’s students.

Some critics have criticized the characters as being very stereotypical, but Alexis Konevich, a senior, has a different view on them.

“I like ‘Glee,'” said Konevich, “because it is unabashedly self aware of the stereotypes the characters represent: gay, nerdy, emo, self-obsessed high school starlets and the like.”

The show has some satire in its stereotypes that builds on the humor. Some students are also impressed with the soundtrack choices.

The show has been praised for its great music and the talent of the cast. Music on the show ranges from show tunes to chart-topping pop hits, because one of the creators, Ryan Murphy, said, “I want there to be something for everybody in every episode.”

The focus on musicals certainly shines through on the show.

“Anyone on campus who is into musicals and over-the-top theatre will like the show,” junior, Emily Ellis said. “It’s the only prime-time program I can think of that will devote a full 4 minutes to a single song.”

The show represents a unique centering on music that many students have welcomed. However, some remain skeptical.

“It’s about glee club… And nobody ever liked the glee club kids, so why would we want to watch a show about glee club kids?” junior, Jordan Flayer said.

Concerns exist regarding whether the appeal of the characters is strong or wide enough to sustain multiple seasons. Some viewers also feel that the show is too trivial or unimportant.

“I watched the pilot show and then the second one,” junior Amanda Schaeper said. “It didn’t catch my interest. I felt like it was a fluff show for someone who didn’t feel like investing too much though.”

Despite the criticism, “Glee” still receives several million views per week, and is at least a unique change in show style. It could be on the Fox schedule for several more seasons, barring Fox’s history with innovative and hilarious programs.

“It’s a great show,” Nino said. “I hope Fox doesn’t cancel it.”