Amy’s serves up “The Hilltopper”

%C2%A0%0A

St. Edward’s University students can now show their school spirit while satisfying their sweet tooth at the same time. Amy’s Ice Creams, right across the street from the St. Edward’s campus, is now serving “The Hilltopper,” one of many “Cool Combo” options offered at Amy’s.

Students were able to go online and submit their custom ice cream creations to Amy’s to be considered for the new “Cool Combo” option. Representatives from Amy’s then chose five out of the 50 applications submitted to be tasted by 12 students at Midnight Madness in the Recreation and Convocation Center on Oct. 15.

The student judges decided that the ice cream cool combo would consist of Mini-Reese’s cups and chocolate-chip-cookie dough mixed into Mexican Vanilla ice cream with thick fudge poured on top.

Vincent Powell, a recent St. Edward’s graduate and current Amy’s employee, had a big hand in developing the idea for a St. Edward’s custom ice cream.

“We want to make this specific Amy’s location [along South Congress Avenue] a St. Ed’s hot-spot—we want to have contests and decorations and we welcome students’ ideas,” said Powell.

This strategy seems to be intriguing St. Edward’s students already.

“I think it’s great that the St. Ed’s presence is being extended beyond the borders of school; it’s not all about UT,” said Cory Hahn, a junior.

Junior Jessica Kruse recently went to Amy’s to try the school-spirited treat.

“It’s not for the faint of heart,” said Kruse. “Go hungry because the portions are massive. It’s made for chocolate lovers.”

With a ten percent discount for students and the introduction of “The Hilltopper,” Amy’s Ice Creams is becoming an increasingly college-friendly establishment and is a great place for a tasty study break.