Local shops will satisfy sweet cravings

Days spent studying and fulfilling other responsibilities can be exhausting sometimes, and we all deserve a treat. Whether you’re already accustomed to Austin life or you’re still new to the city, there are several local spots that will satiate your sweet tooth.

Locals are likely familiar with Amy’s Ice Creams. With 12 locations sprinkled throughout the area, including one across the street from the St, Edward’s University campus, Amy’s offers a great variety of flavors, toppings and “crush’ns.” The ice cream is uniquely good; as an alternative to the traditional vanilla and chocolate, Amy’s offers delectable Mexican Vanilla and Belgian Chocolate flavors.

A variety of other sugar-havens lie not too far from the St. Edward’s campus. One of these is Holy Cacao. This small, unassuming trailer can be at the intersection of South First Street and Gibson Street. Holy Cacao is perhaps best known for its “cake balls,” which are literally balls of cake served on a stick. In addition, it serves delicious “drinking chocolate” in two varieties. For an explosion of sugary satisfaction, try the “cake shakes,” vanilla or chocolate milkshakes infused with a cake ball of your choice.

If cupcakes are more your thing, try Hey Cupcake! It has a trailer of its own at South Congress and Milton Street, a little ways north of campus. Hey Cupcake! also has four other locations in the Austin Metro area. Hey Cupcake! offers seven kinds of cupcake that are guaranteed to satisfy any sweets-craving. “You only live once. Go for it,” said Wes Hurt, owner of Hey Cupcake!

Those in pursuit of cupcakes need not stop there. Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop on South First sells a variety of cute cupcakes with large, sweet dollops of frosting centered on top. It also sells cookies, pies, cakes and “Dessert Bars.” Additionally, Sugar Mama’s is environmentally conscious; the quaint little shop runs on wind power.

For a blast from the past, take a trip to Big Top Candy Shop on South Congress Avenue. The store is styled in the fashion of candy shops from the early 20th century, and it offers a huge range of products—sodas, ice cream, floats, malts and all sorts of delightful confections.

There may be a slew of sweet spots located near campus, but there are plenty of sweet shops around the greater Austin area. For those who like to lounge and take advantage of free Wi-Fi, Quack’s 43rd Street Bakery at the corner of 43rd and Duval should not be overlooked. Open until midnight every night, Quack’s has an abundant selection of baked goods, refreshing drinks and deli sandwiches.

The true pastry connoisseur will appreciate the fare of Sweetish Hill Café & Bakery, located on Sixth Street, a little west of Lamar. Not only does Sweetish Hill sell an enticing assortment of pastries baked fresh every day, but it also features breakfast and lunch options.

There are many more places in the city to satisfy your sweet tooth, of course, so reward your hard work with a sweet, tasty treat.