Packed Midnight Madness rally kicks off basketball season

Midnight Madness, which marked the beginning of the St. Edward’s University women’s and men’s basketball season, kicked off on Oct. 16.

Students didn’t wait until Midnight Madness to start show their school spirit. That morning, the St. Edward’s campus was filled with students sporting Hilltopper Basketball “Fear the Goat at Midnight” T-shirts.

Finally, 11 p.m. rolled around and the RCC began to fill with students excited and ready to ring in the new basketball season with games, prizes and school spirit.

By 11:30 p.m., the gym was filled, leaving students to stand behind the rails above the bleachers and crowd around the windows by the workout facility looking into the gym.

The evening started off with performances by the St. Edward’s Sapphires dance team and the cheerleading squad.

Senior baseball players and spirit leaders on campus Drew Kimball and Ben Silberman hosted Midnight Madness. Kimball and Silberman gave the crowd an entertaining show with their gold towel capes, spirited attitude and great sense of humor.

The announcement of St. Edward’s new flavor at Amy’s Ice Cream, the spicy wing eating contest, raffles and games all led up to the introduction of the men’s and women’s basketball teams.

After an introduction by new men’s basketball Head Coach Andre Cook and a rap by the women’s basketball Head Coach Jennifer White, the basketball players ran out pumped and ready to start the season.

The teams then ran a few plays to give the stands a glimpse of what’s to come this year. Soon after, the men’s basketball team held a dunking contest and the seniors on the women’s team performed a short dance.

Once the night was over, students rushed to the RCC lobby to get free wings provided by Pluckers.