Employees set to leave following acceptance of retirement offers

Employees from nearly every division will accept the retirement transition offers provided earlier this fall. The divisions expect to have fiscal savings “by either not replacing the roles or strategically restructuring in consideration of the departures,” said Vice President of Finance and Administration Kim Kvaal.

Approximately half of the 67 employees provided the offer have accepted, but final numbers have not yet been determined. Hilltop Views previously reported in early November that employees had four weeks to decide if they would accept the early retirement offer.

While some employees will be retiring between Dec. 31 and March 31, others will leave at the end of the academic year.

“Keeping in mind that the offer was voluntary, it is expected that employees who elect not accept the RTO will continue in their current roles,” Kvaal said.

The retirement offers are just one of the initiatives that the university has implemented so that a balanced budget can be presented to the Board of Trustees in May.

These initiatives, which also include a “hiring frost,” reorganization and elimination of positions have taken shape following this year’s enrollment shortfall of 71 fewer students than the Class of 2020.

Humanities Associate Dean Lynn Rudloff will be retiring in June, after having worked for 17 years at St. Edward’s. Though Rudloff originally planned to phase into retirement by working halftime, Rudloff said faculty were offered a year’s salary if they accept.

“When they offered me this and they offered to buy me out, that would be too much money to leave on the table since I was going to halftime anyway,” Rudloff said.

Rudloff said she could not speak to the offers made to staff members since she understands those are different.

On details regarding the retirement transition offers, Kvaal said they are, “personal and confidential, and thus and it is not appropriate for us to further elaborate.”

Rudloff said that another factor of the offers is the ability to apply as an adjunct professor after six months.

“Right now that sounds good because it’s hard to imagine not having students,” Rudloff said. “I love teaching.”

If she returned, Rudloff would like to teach a course on grammar and style or the freshmen composition class.

A reception will be held for Rudloff and the other outgoing employees Dec. 14.

“Teaching has gotten me through some hard times in my life,” Rudloff. “Personal challenges when I really needed to deal with young people who are starting out fresh and excited and it helps me get myself back on track.”