Terrifying Tuesday: 10 must-see Halloween movies

'A Nightmare on Elm Street' remains one of the classic go-to Halloween movies

@SaintCanaan

It’s the last few days before Halloween, so treat yourself to 10 of my reliable horror films as we attempt to shove as much pumpkin-scented, spooky nonsense into the wading October.

1. The Blair Witch Project- The film that essentially revived the found footage genre of horror, “The Blair Witch Project” may not be as blatantly scary as modern audiences may long for, but the elements of drama and quiet, unnerving dread do a lot for this film. Plus it’s October, witches are in season.

2. A Nightmare on Elm Street- A personal favorite of the ‘80s slasher films, Wes Craven’s imaginative and inventive film is not really horrifying; however, the concept is interesting, the acting is the perfect amount of ‘80s melodrama and the heroine is actually active in fighting off her attacker instead of helplessly and pointlessly running around and falling.

3. Cabin in the Woods- A fun mashup of several horror film genres, “Cabin in the Woods” is funny, chilling, and surprisingly fresh, considering it’s blatant use of tropes. It’s clever subversion, great performances and willingness to poke fun at itself make it a lasting treat for audiences; or, at least, me.

4. The Descent- A claustrophobic nightmare, “The Descent” is a wonderful horror/drama/action film about a group of friends exploring an uncharted cave together and all the horrors that reside there. Its slow, methodical pacing is unsettling and broken at just the right times with action, so it’s not one you’ll get bored with.

5. Hush- I’ve already written a review on “Hush”, but it’s good enough to mention again on here. Gruesome, well-paced and condensed in terms of space, “Hush” pushes all the right horror buttons to make a person check the windows regularly just to make sure there’s no one standing there.

6. The Babadook- Following the titular character’s admittance into the LGBT+ community, this Australian flick gained a lot of attention, which is very much deserved. Concerning a single mother and her… difficult child, the film is a haunting look at grief and motherhood, carried all the way by a strong script and astounding cast.

7. The Witch- While it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea due to it’s slow pace and simplicity,“The Witch” makes due with what it has: a grotesque script and a phenomenal ensemble. Not a whole lot happens, but that’s part of the tact of the film, as everything that happens, even the small, almost ordinary things are able to come off as completely gruesome.

8. It Follows- A little unassuming at first, “It Follows” lays claim to a strong visual aesthetic, a retro musical score, understated performances by a fresh cast, and a rather unique premise. I won’t spoil it, but this is the sort of film that stays with it’s audiences long after watching it, in all the right ways.1

9. The Evil Dead- Unlike the other films on this list, “The Evil Dead” isn’t necessarily good. However, it’s a cult classic; it spawned multiple sequels, a remake and even a musical. It’s campy, it’s gory, and it’s a hell of a lot of fun. It may lack a complex artistic form, but it’s a cult classic for a reason.

10. Train to Busan- Zombie films. Hoo boy. It feels like such a tired genre, but “Train to Busan” holds more emotion, drive and sheer creativity than the majority of zombie films out there combined. With a touching cast of characters and some fantastic makeup and acting, “Train to Busan” is one film that should not be missed.