Indie rock trio leaves listeners wanting more following EP release

The EP was written, recorded in four days.

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Courtesy of Creative Commons

Sierra Rozen, Viewpoints Editor

Indie scene darlings Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus have finally blessed our ears with their collaborative EP “boygenius.”

The trio came together after a year of on-again-off-again touring along with being up-and-coming, under 25 female musicians.

This record brings out the best in all three women by combining Baker’s instrumental versatility, Bridger’s tongue-in-cheek lyrics and Dacus’s poetic rhyme. Not to mention, the harmonies the three produce are enough to make a grown man cry.

Standouts of the record and two of my personal favorites are “Me and My Dog,” and “Ketchum, ID.”

“Me and My Dog” builds in intensity, not only instrumentally, but also vocally, as the singers beg their significant others to remember that they are still flawed, even with the love they are being shown.

“Ketchum, ID” might strike a question mark into a listener as they try to decipher what the title means. Upon further research, I discovered that it is a city located in Idaho. This puts the line “You say “How are you”, I say “I don’t know”/Let’s dissolve the band, move to Idaho,” into a much better perspective.

The one downside of this EP is exactly that; it’s an EP comprised of only six songs. Listeners will be left wanting more after giving it a listen. Even so, this record will be on repeat as the colder months approach us.

Until we hear if they will release more music together, I highly recommend giving a listen to each women’s solo stuff

About the Writer
Sierra Rozen, Viewpoints Editor

I am Sierra Rozen – Communication major, Journalism and Women's Studies double minor and Viewpoints Editor for Hilltop Views. This is my sophomore year...