St. Edward’s brings voting stations to campus for Super Tuesday

Emely Alvarado

In Texas, the turnout for voters during Super Tuesday rose from more than 1.4 million. St. Edward’s set up voting stations in Jones Auditorium which was open to the Austin community.

On March 3, 14 states, including Texas, hosted Super Tuesday. Super Tuesday is a day where states vote on which candidate they want on the ballot for the primary election. This year is especially important for the Democratic Party as they are voting for their preferred candidate to go against President Donald Trump. 

Super Tuesday is about delegates. Delegates are the individuals selected to represent and support a candidate at the party’s presidential nominating convention. Each state has a different number of delegates, and more than 1,300 delegates are available for candidates. 

On the ballot, citizens vote on state nominations for both the Texas House of Representatives and Senate, district judges, presidential candidates, U.S. senators, U.S. house representatives, the Texas Railroad Commission and several propositions. 

This year, St. Edward’s University offered a poll for registered voters (students and non-students alike) on campus. Polls were set up in the Jones Global Event Center from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

“I voted today and it was really easy to do so since it was here on campus.We got a lot of support from St. Edward’s as they encouraged us to vote and make a change for our future,“ St. Edward’s student, Kim Garcia said. 

Although St. Edward’s had polls set up on campus for the primaries, it did not have the option for on-campus early voting. The reasoning behind that is unknown, but some students think there should have been the option.

“I know a lot of people don’t know anything about who’s even on the ballot and maybe they would have been aware earlier if we had the polls then,” sophomore, Olivia Aydelotte said. “I am still happy that we have it now because it makes it easier to vote since I live on campus and my class schedule is so busy.” 

Move Texas was also on campus during Super Tuesday to assist students who had  not yet registered. They offered free pizza, candy and ice cream for every student who registered to vote as well as to any student who was already registered. The organization’s mission is to increase young people’s participation in elections. They work in San Antonio, Laredo, Seguin, San Marcos, Austin and Dallas. 

“We are here to encourage students to go out and vote and also make them aware of their location, since they have polls right here on campus. We are making voting fun!” Deputy Organizing Manager, Erica Elliott said. Move Texas believes every young Texan should have their voice heard at the Texas Capitol, city halls and at the ballot box.

The results from Super Tuesday were released at the end of the day with Joe Biden as the leading Democrat in more than 10 states. Since the outcome, five out of the eight democratic candidates have dropped out of the race.