Campus Ministry bids farewell to Father Peter

Melissa Gunning / Hilltop Views

Members of the St. Edward’s community extend their hands to bless Fr. Peter Walsh and wish him well.

Fr. Peter Walsh, CSC has been reassigned to the University of Portland by the Provincial Superior of the Congregation of Holy Cross. His departure from Campus Ministry was announced by President Fuentes in an email over the summer.

“I sensed his time with us was approaching its end because you don’t often have someone assigned for as long as he was here,” associate director of Campus Ministry Liza Manjarrez said.

From serving on the presidential leadership team to leading mass every week, Fr. Walsh has served the students, faculty and staff at St. Edward’s University for ten years. “When people think of Campus Ministry, they think of him,” senior Kelly Salinas said.

The university recognized Fr. Walsh’s decade-long service Wednesday, Sept. 7. He officiated mass, and those in attendance imparted a final blessing to wish him well on his next assignment. At the following reception, members of the community gathered to thank and support him.

At the reception, Fuentes announced that Fr. Walsh will be on the university’s Board of Trustees.

“The university has been through a lot of ups and downs and Fr. Peter has been with us through all of that,” Title IX Coordinator and Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Lisa Kirkpatrick said. “He will continue with us, to give us support, compassion, care, love and prayers.”

St. Edward’s students, faculty and staff celebrate Fr. Peter Walsh’s impact on the community at a reception in the library. (Melissa Gunning / Hilltop Views)

As part of the board, Fr. Walsh will impact the university’s policies, opportunities for students and financial decisions. “(He is) part of the fabric of this place,” Kirkpatrick said.

Now leading the on-campus masses is Fr. Lou Brusatti, who has come out of retirement to fulfill this role. According to Manjarrez, Campus Ministry will continue to offer experiences of spirituality, service and justice. 

“We have dedicated student leaders and staff that are committed to living out our values everyday,” Manjarrez said.

At the University of Portland, Fr. Walsh will serve as their Director of Campus Ministry.

“It will be a really big transition period,” Salinas said. “(The University of Portland) doesn’t know how great of a gift they’re getting.”