Profiling the hidden talent behind Bon Appetit’s Quinton “Q”

Danielle Ford / Hilltop Views
Quintin poses in front of his usual station in Hunt Hall where he works behind the line.

Hey Hilltoppers, I’ve got someone I want you to meet. You’ve probably seen him around daily in the different dining halls between your classes and such, but I feel a formal introduction is in order. Meet Quintin, or Q. for short.

Quintin is a 37-year-old male, a father to his 15-year-old son, a church member, and a part of the St. Edwards University community. For the last 10 years, Quinton has worked here at Bon appétit, starting when he was 27, and has sought to make a positive difference in the lives of the youth and faculty in his life here at St.Edward’s. 

Originally from Austin, Quintin moved to Corpus Christi when he was 15 because his stepfather, a pastor,  received an opportunity to open his church. Big modifications such as this in a young teen’s life can be challenging; however, Quintin soon made good friends with a group of guys he was introduced to through an individual who asked him if he played basketball. To which he responded, “No, but I rap!”

Quintin has always been infatuated with the music scene from a very young age. He was working on his music for a while, but something about it didn’t feel fulfilling. That undeniable fire you have that drives your determination to continue pursuing your passion was absent, and that was evident to Quintin. 

One day, his girlfriend asked him what he wanted to do, to which Quintin responded with what most of us would probably consider a reasonable answer- “I want to make money.” Truthfully, he wasn’t sure what to say. The question ran through his head daily, yet he still hadn’t any definite answer. Little did he know he would have all the time in the world to ponder on the question because not long after this, COVID-19 sent us into a global lockdown, leaving Quintin with nothing but immediate family, the internet, and home entertainment. 

Sometime during lockdown, Quintin started watching more and more YouTube videos and became inspired by the people he saw creating content and sharing their passions with the world. By chance, he reached out to one of the content creators he had been following for a while, asking what he would need to do to do the same things his colleague did. The man reached out and told him to grab a camera and start recording. 

Quintin took this advice and started his channel, “Trey6hundoquentintv, where he supported local street rappers and eventually would go on to support other musical artists around Texas. I asked Quintin if he thought he’d ever be where he is now in his YouTube career, and he told me, “It’s not about how you start. It’s about the growth, the journey”.

After only 3 years of starting his channel, Quintin has secured an audience of 24.4K subscribers and still has fresh content being put out regularly. I asked Quintin if he had to choose three words to describe himself, what would they be? “Driven, Humble, and Giving,” said Quinton. All of these, I would argue, are very evident in how he presents himself. 

For example, before Quintin started working for Bon appétit, he was introduced to the idea of a union- which by definition is “a club, society, or association formed by people with a common interest or purpose”- Oxford languages. In this case, a Union is formed by a group of workers who collectively use their resources to create better benefits in the workplace. 

With the help of his fellow colleagues, Quintin formed a union that ultimately led to better financial and health benefits for all involved. Another good example showcasing these attributes is Quintin’s connection to the youth on campus. After starting his channel, he encouraged a group of students to create their own, and their channel became very successful. 

What do these stories have in common? Quintin told me that it’s human nature to be selfish and believes that everyone should give back and that one of the best ways we can do that is to share our knowledge. Build each other up by pouring into one another, and give without reluctance, because what goes around comes around. 

All in all, it was a pleasure and privilege to get to know Quinton. If you can, drop by Hunt and say a quick “Hello”!