St. Edward’s University ascends to sixth position in U.S. News and World Report’s Best Regional Universities in the Western Region

Bruno Echt Fusaro / Hilltop Views
The university used to sit at the eighth position in the U.S. News and World Report’s Best Regional Universities in the Western Region but has since climbed the ladder to now sit at sixth place.

St. Edward’s University recently ranked #6 as Best Regional Universities in the Western Region by U.S. News and World Report. St. Edward’s administration celebrated this achievement as an internal and external recognition of all its work. Provost Marianne Ward-Peradoza shares what makes St. Edward’s a top institution in the Western Region.

“We are focused on ensuring that we are able to partner with the community to address community challenges and through that partnership, provide students with experiences in which they leverage what they learn in the classroom with experiential learning in the form of internships, research and study abroad opportunities,” Ward-Peradoza said. 

Experiential learning is a key component of St. Edward’s education. Through Strategic Plan 2027, the institution aims for each student to have one experiential learning opportunity before graduation. 

“Our commitments in the context of the strategic plan and our areas of focus are aligned with student outcomes and enhancing student outcomes in ways that position us well to see the outcomes that we have with the rankings,” Ward-Pedradoza said.

Ward-Pedradoza also highlighted the importance of personalized learning, where all students are met where they are, so each can achieve their full potential, leading to better post-graduation opportunities.

“It is really about ensuring that the programs that we are offering are rigorous, engaging and relevant; they are meeting the needs in the community so that we are offering programs in which there are not only opportunities for our students in the vibrant Austin ecosystem, through internships and research opportunities, but also through job opportunities when they graduate,” Ward-Pedradoza said.

St. Edward’s has gradually improved in U.S News and World Report ranking for the past 21 years. Compared to last year, St. Edward’s moved up in the Best Universities in the Western Region ranking from #8 to #6. The university ranking also increased to #7 in the area of social mobility, marking a 10-position jump from last year. St. Edward’s also retained U.S. News and World Report’s #4 ranking in Best Colleges for Veterans and #5 in the Best Value Schools category, highlighting higher program quality with lower costs. 

“It’s a testament to all of the work that we have been doing and the academic excellence and distinction that is at the core of the academic experience at St. Edward’s,” Ward-Peradoza said.