Graphic design exhibition provides interactive experience

Guns, culture, color, music and art converge at “10,000 Hours,” St. Edward’s Graphic Design Senior Exhibition.

The on-campus exhibition, which saw huge crowds of parents, friends and general art enthusiasts through its narrow gallery in the Fine Arts building opening night, consists of 20 seniors’ semester long projects. The exhibit will be open to the public through Feb. 24.

The exhibit’s name references Malcolm Gladwell’s 10,000 hours theory — in which one has to put in 10,000 hours of practice to truly master something. The exhibit is a reflection of the hard work that the seniors put into their projects during all of last semester.

“Everyone has a little bit of their own personality in their work,” said senior Olivia Williams, whose project included modern theatre poster pieces.

One of the most striking pieces in the gallery included “El Grito de las Flores” or the “Scream of the Flowers.” Onlookers could interact with the exhibit by hanging live flowers from little nooses that hung down from the ceiling, representing a symbolic victory over domestic violence in Mexico.

“All people who attended my events became part of the installation piece by becoming fighters for justice,” said senior Andrea Rojas, the project’s creator.

“The installation speaks more than words; it screams for help,” Rojas said.

Other projects included a beginner’s guide to buying your first gun, a care packet kit, a book of typography and a fall-in-love-with-reading kit.

In addition, as per the typical St. Edward’s opening night event, there were quality grade snacks of different types of cheese, crackers, hummus and other refreshments that guests enjoyed throughout the evening.

There was never a slow moment, and with roughly 50 people going in and out of the gallery, the exhibit’s opening night was considered a success.

While the next wave of guests will not get to enjoy hors d’oeuvres on their tour of the exhibit, everyone is encouraged to visit the gallery located in the Fine Arts building on campus. For more information, you can visit the website, which includes a map and more information about each of the artists.

Follow Victoria on Twitter.