Annual tradition brings holiday cheer, reflection

The event is held every December on the Main Building lawn.

On Friday, Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m., St. Edward’s University will celebrate its 34th annual Festival of Lights, a candlelit program of prayer and song that takes place at the steps of Main Building.

James Puglisi, associate director of Campus Ministry, said that the Festival of Lights is the longest standing tradition that St. Edward’s has.

“It was started by the Brothers of Holy Cross, and it has remained fairly constant over the years,” Puglisi said.

The Festival of Lights is an event open to the entire St. Edward’s community.

“We don’t advertise outside the St. Edward’s community, but people who know about it will always come. We don’t turn them away,” Puglisi said.

The Festival of Lights is the perfect place for the community to come together in celebration and reflection of the Advent season.

“The event takes on a liturgical format—we have a prayer, a scripture reading and reflections. It is an Advent themed night, but we try to make it as inclusive as possible while still maintaining the Catholic tradition,” Puglisi said.

This year’s reflection will be delivered by Alfred Felix Estrello, a St. Edward’s Class of 1977 graduate, according to Michelle Mowry, Programming Coordinator for Student Life.

Estrello is the Director of Special Projects for the School of Education; he coordinates student teaching.

“Fred loves Holy Cross; he is an advocate of the university and its Holy Cross heritage,” Puglisi said.

The selected scripture verse will be read by Jacqueline Schicker, a junior at St. Edward’s.

“I was honored to be asked by Campus Ministry to read at Festival of Lights as a Jewish student representative,” Schicker said.

Schicker is the vice president of Hillel Toppers, the university’s Jewish life organization.

“I always appreciate Campus Ministry’s invitation to participate in university events regardless of one’s faith background. By integrating students with various understandings and traditions, Campus Ministry exemplifies Holy Cross educational traditions,” she said.

Schicker will be reading from Isaiah, a book from the Hebrew Bible.

“It is a strong reminder that interfaith actions belong, especially in the winter when Judaism and Christianity both celebrate festivals of light,” Schicker said.

Campus Ministry works in close collaboration with Student Life, Ragsdale Center and Morris Stevens, who is the head of the university’s music department.

“We put the program together and handle the liturgical aspect of the night. Student Life does a lot of the logistical work—they do a phenomenal amount of the leg work,” Puglisi said.

St. Edward’s annual Holiday Concert will directly follow the Festival of Lights. It will take place in the Mabee Ballrooms on the third floor of the Ragsdale Center at 7:30 p.m. and will feature music by the entire St. Edward’s University music program.

Because of the size of the Mabee Ballrooms, limited seating and tickets will be available.

“Tickets are not available to the general student population through the Music Department, but there may be some tickets available the night of Festival of Lights in the Ragsdale lobby,” Mowry said.

“We have to respect fire codes and safety issues,” Puglisi said.

White Christmas lights have been lighting up Main Building since November 30—the first step of many to prepare the St. Edward’s community for the holiday season.

Puglisi encourages students and their families to come together in this very special St. Edward’s tradition.

“It seems to be an event that people enjoy every year. It’s just a great way to kick off the Advent season and end the semester. It’s a nice way to wind down before finals begin,” he said.