Austin offers wide range of activities and events for winter fun

Austinites can find events for just about anything, especially ones for the time of Christmas. Here is a list of some of the holiday spirited events going on in and around the city and on the St. Edward’s campus:

A Christmas Story

Nov. 27- Dec. 29

There is a show recreating the infamous Christmas movie at the ZACH theater. Remember, drink that Ovaltine.

The Trail of Lights at Zilker

Dec. 8 – Dec. 22

Enjoy all the pretty lights Christmas time can offer by going to the treasured tradition of Zilker’s Trail of Lights.

Rooftop Ice Skating 

Dec. 1- Jan. 11

During the fall/winter every year, Whole Foods encourages the holiday spirit with their seasonal tradition of putting an ice rink on the top of their building. It is open every day from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The Nutcracker at the Ballet Austin 

Dec. 7-Dec. 23

Ballet Austin puts on the Nutcracker at the Long Center. This is a great way to be artsy and holiday spirited.

Luminations

Dec. 14 and Dec. 15

Here is another event where one can enjoy the beautiful lights Christmastime offers. This is an event that will have people’s eyes and ears entertained with holiday goodness. Also, one can help out charity at the same time at this event by bringing two can foods for the Capital Area Food Bank (this has an added bonus of free admission with the two cans).

Festival of Lights

Dec. 6

The Festival of Lights is one of St. Edward’s University’s traditional events that celebrates the holiday spirit. It gives students quite the show and display of lights.

Midnight Breakfast

Dec. 8

St. Edward’s University’s Midnight Breakfast is an annual tradition and the fall semester’s Midnight Breakfast usually encompasses the seasonal spirit. Students can take a break from studying for their exams and stress to enjoy a little holiday fun.

If none of these events work out, try snuggling up in some blankets and watching ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas. If one does not have cable, pop in a Christmas movie and some popcorn, make some hot cocoa, invite some friends over and make it an event. Enjoy the season and spread the holiday joy.

Follow Alexis on Twitter: @uhhlexisG