Candid discussion among campus politicians: Dreams, heroes

Voting for the Student Government Association (SGA) candidates begins Apr. 10, at 5 p.m. on EdWeb. The presidential candidates are Octavio Sanchez, running with vice presidential candidate Michael Cimino, and Nicole Bradley, running with vice presidential candidate Harrison Hadland.

Octavio Sanchez

If Sanchez could change one thing about the world, it would be the way countries interact with one another.

“I truly believe that if the borders were gone then we could all work together to help eliminate poverty and hunger. We are all living together on one Earth big enough to share,” Sanchez said.

When Sanchez was little, he had big dreams. “When I was a kid I wanted to be either a farmer who owned an Old McDonald style farm so that schools could use as a field trip for their classes or a fire fighter so that I could fight fires and help other people.”

His favorite super hero is Superman. “He is my favorite because since I was a kid I saw Superman as the perfect role model in my life, even if he was not real. Superman to me has always represented doing the right thing no matter the cost,” Sanchez said.

If Sanchez won a million dollars tomorrow, he would be generous with his winnings. “I would first spend it on my parents, because of all the sacrifices they have made for me. I would help them by paying off their debt so that they can live a more relaxed lifestyle,” Sanchez said.

Michael Cimino

Cimino was motivated to run for vice president of SGA because “after being in SGA for a year I’ve gotten to know how things are run and I believe that working with Octavio will help make next year a great year of improvements for the campus,” Cimino said.

Cimino would be generous with his earnings if he won a million dollars. Cimino said he would “donate a quarter [million] to my favorite charity and use the rest to buy a ranch out in the country.”

Cimino would travel far if he got the chance to. “If I could travel to any country it would be Kenya because I’ve always wanted to go to Africa,” Cimino said.

Cimino considers himself a dog person. “I love to run, and the last time I tried to put a leash on a cat, I nearly lost my right hand,” Cimino said.

Nicole Bradley

She prefers dogs over cats. “I can’t lie. I am a big dog person. A cat just can’t love you like a dog can,” Bradley said.

She loves the atmosphere college provides. “I really want to work at a university. I love the college atmosphere and hope to one day be an inspiration to students as the many mentors in my life have been to me,” Bradley said.

She was motivated by other SGA members to get involved in the organization. “Their interest in the organization and working on student concerns excited me and made me want to be a part of an organization that works to benefit the entire student body,” Bradley said.

If Bradley had a day left to live, she would relax. “I would call (the important people in my life) all up and tell them to meet me at a river to go floating so I could spend my last hours relaxing and having a good time with the ones I love the most,” Bradley said.

Harrison Hadland

Harrison’s favorite super hero is Batman.

“Besides the fact that he’s awesome, Batman is my favorite because he is one of a select few super heroes who goes to work with no super powers. What he lacks in super powers, he makes up with the determination to fight for what he believes in,” Hadland said.

When Hadland was a kid, his dream job involved cartoon characters. “When I was a toddler, I wanted to be a superhero. Specifically, Batman,” Hadland said.

If Hadland could go to any country, he would visit France. “It’s the main site of The Count of Monte Cristo, one of my favorite pieces of literature,” Hadland said.

If Hadland could change one thing about the world, he would change how people communicate. “I think that if people were as equally honest about their own opinions as they were open to listening to the opinions of others, then the world would be a significantly different place,” Hadland said.