Lectures explore the value of global religious understanding

Campus Ministry seeks to promote appreciation and understanding of religious diversity.

Religious conflict, study and integration were a few of several topics discussed by visiting scholars last week at the first of many Nostra Aetate lectures presented by the Religious Studies program at St. Edward’s University.

The lecture consisted of a panel discussion with Whitney Bodman of Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Sarah Tobin of Wheaton College in Massachusetts and Richard Bautch of the Jewish Studies program at St. Edward’s.

The topic of religion was a primary discussion point for students before the lectures had even begun, with many asking each other about his or her religious views over the refreshments served.

“I didn’t come for a class,” freshman Dianna Ramirez said. “I came because I was interested in what they would have to say about our school itself.”

The night began with the speakers introducing themselves and how they got their start in religious studies.

Although they each said they came by their studies by simple experience, each of them had a special story to tell.

Bodman said he came by his study from being exposed to diversity at a young age. Tobin said her homogenous upbringing fomented a great interest in the differences of culture and religion. Bautch told of how he became a Jewish Studies professor after being raised Roman Catholic.

“Even at a very young age, I began to notice the similarities between the Catholic faith and ancient Judaism,” Bautch said. “I continue to be fascinated by the shared meaning behind the texts.”

Each professor had time to share their personal opinions and discuss their views as the night went on. They shared what they thought the problem with religious ignorance was and how to combat it.

“We need to study media so that we can be wary of how it distorts the events we are not witness to,” said Bodman.

Bodman then went on to recount a story of a Muslim colleague in Israel who was outraged when she found out about the Terry Jones Quran burnings in 2010.

“She thought that Americans all over the country were burning Qurans,” he said. “This is just another example of how one group misinterprets the actions of a small extremist group.”

The discussion moved from understanding the importance of religious studies in education to understanding the diversity of religions on our own campus.

“So many people are used to seeing the world in their own little ways,” said Seth Robledo, a sophomore. “I think that discussions like this show a lot of promise for people, especially St. Edward’s.”

Campus Ministry said that the next Nostra Aetate lecture series would be on Oct. 29 and invites anyone interested in the study of diversity, culture and religion to attend.