IT examines outages

The first weeks of school have been interrupted by server and network problems and outages, causing problems and frustration for both students and staff.

“The service outages experienced in the past three weeks are not all due to a singular core problem,” said Claire Dunn, IT communications coordinator.

According to Dunn, the outages during the first week of school and the outage on Sept. 5 shared root causes, but different initial events. The root cause and initiating event of the Sept. 7 outage were unrelated to those of the first outage.

“The initiating event [of the Sept. 7 outage] was a five-minute network outage, during which our routing protocol was disrupted, which effectively took down servers and storage in two locations on campus,” said Dunn.

In response, St. Edward’s Digital Infrastructure team conducted a five-hour outage on Sept. 8 in order to more fully address network and server issues.

“[The Digital Infrastructure team] proceeded to topologically change the way two server and storage sites on campus communicated to one another,” Dunn said.

No data was lost during or after the outages and network maintenance.

Dunn said the Digital Infrastructure team is continually making and planning changes to improve network stability.

According to Dunn, the outages during the first week of school and the outage on Sept. 5 shared root causes but different initial events. The root cause and initiating event of the Sept. 7 outage were unrelated to those of the first outage.

“[The Digital Infrastructure team] proceeded to topologically change the way two server and storage sites on campus communicated to one another…,” said Dunn.

After maintenance was completed, the network and servers were brought back up, and no data was lost.

The Digital Infrastructure team is continually making and planning changes to improve network stability.