Hilltoppers spend break serving others

St. Edward’s students went to New Orleans for ASB.

Many students spend the first part of spring semester dreaming of spring break — a chance to relax, go swimming at the beach and party with friends. However, many others spend their spring breaks volunteering and helping the less fortunate.

During spring break, groups of St. Edward’s University students traveled to nine different locations across the United States, each with its own mission, with the Alternative Spring Break program to volunteer their time.

ASB is open to any full-time undergraduate St. Edward’s student. There are also thousands of other schools across the country that offer some form of the ASB program.

“While on an Alternative Spring Break, students share their perspectives regarding society and have the chance to make an impact and engage in new experiences,” according to the Campus Ministry section of the St. Edward’s website.

Freshman Rachel Murray is one of the many students at St. Edward’s who participated in the 2011 Alternative Spring Break.

“I wanted to go on ASB to do something productive with my spring break. It sounded like a great opportunity to get involved in some national issues and make a difference,” Murray said. “I loved the group aspect too, so you can meet new people and grow in fellowship of your classmates.”

Murray was part of a group that went to New Orleans, La. The group worked closely with an organization called Common Ground Relief. Murray’s group helped the organization restore houses by gutting old, run-down houses, installing insulation and drywall and painting.

However, ASB is not all work — students do get the opportunity to have fun. In fact, Murray’s favorite memory from the trip took place in the van on the ride to the site.

“My favorite memory from the trip was fist pumping in the car to the song ‘Fist Pump’ by HardNox at 8 a.m. in our giant minivan on the way to the site,” Murray said. “One morning we were all going crazy and got video recorded by a car of college spring-breakers who were driving next to us. It became a tradition to play the song every morning after that.”

This was Murray’s first time participating in ASB, but she said she is definitely interested in doing it again.

“I plan on doing ASB again but going on International Immersion this time so I can do service work abroad,” Murray said. “It’s a great way to form new friendships, grow spiritually and gain a sense of respect and understanding of just how fortunate we are [in the United States.]”

The International Immersion program is similar to ASB, but students get a chance to travel abroad instead of just places in the United States.

Diane Bocklage, another student who took part in ASB, went with her group to Whiteriver, Ariz. The group stayed on the White Mountain Apache Tribe’s reserve.

Bocklage said that her experience was enjoyable because of the passion her group members showed for the work they were doing on the reserve.

“Our group was incredible and we were all extremely dedicated to what we were doing there which allowed us to truly embrace the culture we were exposed to, as well as open our hearts to the problems of other people,” Bocklage said.

Like Murray, Bocklage is also interested in participating in ASB in the future and recommends it to others.

“I would definitely do ASB again,” Bocklage said. “It’s a great experience that is provided by the university that should be taken advantage of.”

Students interested in participating in ASB or International Immersion programs in the future should visit the Campus Ministry section of the St. Edward’s website for more information.