Lucida exhibition shines

The St. Edward’s University Photocommunications senior exhibition, entitled “Lucida,” opened March 11 and showcases work from 20 students. The work displayed in the gallery is a collaboration of pieces from Photocommunications majors who are graduating in May.

Lucida, which means “light” in Latin, was chosen as the name for the show because the definition of photography is “to write with light.”

The gallery was full of patrons throughout the evening reception. Guests viewed the pieces and enjoyed a variety of refreshments while a video of interviews with the students in the show played outside the gallery. In the taped interviews, the students were asked a variety of questions about their journey with photography, as well as about their plans for the future.  

The students experimented with different ways to showcase their work. Gabriel Sanchez’s work required a magnifying class for viewing, and Kristina Candito’s photos were viewed through a suspended classic children’s toy, a view-master called “Intimate Sentiments.”

Ashley Watson displayed two photographs and a book she created with several more of her images.

Aura Cleveland’s work was a sensory experience called “Self Portrait.” She encouraged viewers to listen to music in headphones that she had provided while she burned incense as a part of the display. Cleveland arranged items to accompany several photographs, such as a broken mirror, moccasins in the corner, a teapot, a rug in the center of the installation, dead flowers, tarot cards, a hanging tree branch and some yellow yarn.

One piece in the show by senior Matt Munson had pictures taken from Chatroulette, a popular website where people randomly video chat with strangers. The piece was called “Say Cheese.”

Lea Thompson had a series of black and white photographs of pay phones called “A Disappearing Landscape.”

Emily Vilmont did a series of silhouettes, while Erynn Patrick’s project “Multiples” contained photographs where one image was superimposed onto another, creating a layered effect.

Senior Ashley Amador discussed her work in more detail.

“The work deals with a new way of documenting and transcribing a photograph, as well as photographic reference. The series of ambiguous landscapes leaves one to question the space between ‘what something is’ and ‘what it might be,'” Amador said. “This idea of identification and association creates the need to reconsider what photographic reference is. Are these images identifiable? Are they maps and landscapes we have seen before? Are the photographs our perception of mapping traces and unidentifiable, yet familiar, locations? Or, is the need to identify an object so strong that humans create a reference?”

Rachel Olan displayed her most recent works with macro photography at the show. Olan said that she currently plans to continue working with photography after she graduates.

Ryan Francisco also discussed her plans for after graduation.  

“My plan for after graduation is to intern at Foto Fest for the summer in Houston, then [to] go abroad and teach English in the fall,” Franscisco said.

“I’m hoping I could venture off to Spain,” Francisco added. “While there, I would like to intern at a contemporary art gallery.”

The Lucida photograph exhibit will be on display in the St. Edward’s Arts Gallery in the Fine Arts Building until April 8. The gallery is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There is no charge to enter the gallery.