MMNT opens semester with successful production of “Eurydice”

“Eurydice,” a surprisingly humorous story of lost love and lasting bonds, is now playing at Mary Moody Northen Theatre. With great scenery, music, lighting and acting, the play was full of drama, humor and emotion.

When audience members walked into the theater, they felt overwhelmed by the tranquility of the scene. The floor was a light blue, and there were bubbling water tanks on the floor near the seats. In the middle of the floor there was a platform and a smaller one in the corner filled with water. Before the play began, a light sound of trickling water provided a sense of calm.

The music throughout the play was strategically used to introduce characters, enhance the emotions in important scenes and most importantly symbolize the connection between Eurydice and her husband, Orpheus. The play was humorous at times, but was also heartbreakingly emotional.

The lighting was very important in the play because different characters would be on the scene when only one would need the audience’s attention. It was also used to emphasize the feelings portrayed.

All the actors gave memorable performaces. The relationship between Eurydice and Orpheus was portrayed beautifully as fun, tender, caring love that was still apparent even after Eurydice is gone.

Senior Nathan Brockett was perfect for the role of Orpheus, a crazy-in-love musician. The heartache of the final scene is all for Brockett as he gives the audience the final clue as to what lengths people who live without their loved one will go to.

The main star, sophomore Cassidy Schiltz, was magnificent as Eurydice. She conveyed innocence and love effortlessly but was also able to portrayed many hilarious as well as tender moments.

Schiltz’s chemistry with both Brockett and Jamie Goodwin, Eurydice’s father, only added to the overall appeal of Eurydice’s character. The play’s biggest hitter was Goodwin. A returning Equity Actor to the Mary Moody stage, Goodwin has been in many plays, movies and TV shows, including the 2001 film “Serendipity.”

Goodwin’s portrayal of Eurydice’s father could not have been better. He played a loving, patient character who gains much of the audience’s compassion throughout his most heart-touching scenes, filled with grief and love.

David Stahl, another returning Equity Actor to the Mary Moody stage, played the Lord of the Underworld. Though appearing only a handful of times, Stahl was very funny in his scenes and a bit menacing towards the end.

Last but not least, sophomores David Cameron Allen, Sophia Franzella and Kendra Perez play the Stones. The Stones are the audience’s three guides to the rules of the Underworld, and they played their roles with a serious kind of humor.

Costume designer Buffy Manners also shined with her original designs for the Stone’s costumes.

Eurydice was done with great craft, a great way to kick off the Mary Moody Nothen Theatre’s spring semester.