Hilltoppers mentor youth of Austin

In addition to their courseload, several students at St. Edward’s University have dedicated their time to trying to make Austin a better place for the city’s youth.

One of the newest organizations at St. Edward’s, the Hilltop Mentoring Community connects interested students with third party nonprofit organizations that match volunteer mentors with students of all ages who need more attention.

“When kids don’t get enough attention at home or school, they slip through the cracks,” co-founder Margo Sivin said. “Since we do have the time, energy and passion to spread the love of learning, then we [as students] should give back.”

Three St. Edward’s students created the organization in the fall of 2010 with the intent of alleviating the stress associated with the idea of becoming a volunteer mentor.

The co-founders, juniors Margo Sivin, Collin Phillips and Jennifer Robichaux, were mentors at various schools through the nonprofit organization Communities in Schools. The three students then decided to start an official organization on campus that was specifically designed to allow mentors to gather and talk about their experiences with their mentees.

Mentoring can often be seen as a challenge, and the group aims to provide an environment where mentors can discuss their journeys.

“My own [mentoring] experience proved to be a challenge because I didn’t really have anyone to explain the application process or the obstacles that come with mentoring a young kid who you’re a virtual stranger to,” said Phillips. “I thought it would be beneficial to create a club that made the application process seem less daunting and where mentors could come together and talk.”

The HMC asks each student to make a full-year commitment to the program. This includes meeting with their students at least once per week and attending meetings once per month. The club emphasizes the stability the mentors represent in the lives of their mentees.

Though all the members are in college, the HMC does not specifically promote higher education, but rather the friendship fostered from having the consistent presence of an older person in a child’s life that is not a teacher or a member of their family.

“I’m not sure if my [mentee] even comprehends college right now. I mean, she’s only in elementary school,” Robichaux said. “They see you as something stable in their lives, but if somewhere down the line they are able to connect the dots, then that’s a good thing.”

As of now, the club is having trouble finding members who are willing to make the full year commitment to mentor. The group finds the once a week meetings during the year to be essential for the kids to confidently accept the mentors as stable presences in their lives.

The group meets every Wednesday at 7 p.m. to discuss mentoring, tutoring and other special volunteering opportunities.

“Even though ‘cheerleaders’ sounds glittery, it is a good word to describe [mentors],” Robichaux said. “We’re there to be a cheerleader for a kid who needs stability and support.”

Students who are interested in becoming a member of the HMC can contact the co-founders by their St. Edward’s e-mail, which can be found by searching the directory on the school’s website.